Respected Contributor

Re: DO I STILL NEED A LAND LINE?

We gave up our land line over 20 yrs ago. 

Respected Contributor

Whether or not one still needs a "landline" is something only they can answer. I've started refering to it as a "house phone" rather than "landline". New technology has made actual "landlines" pretty few and far between.

I still have my "house phone" because it was cheaper to keep it than get rid of it. I have my internet service from the same provider, and it's $20 a month cheaper to have both than just internet service. The ringers on the phone are turned off and it goes right to voicemail, but I still technically have the line. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

I tried doing without a landline for a while, but I really missed it. I just don't regard my cell phone as my "real" phone: I keep it in my purse, and don't really hear it ringing most of the time.

Esteemed Contributor

I still have my land line because I'm hearing disabled and can't hear on my cell well. Fortunately I have a captioned phone so I can read what people say. 
  My alarm system uses it to dial out.

I called Cox, my service because there was a .90 charge for long distance.(I never call that) it was for 5 seconds. It happened to be to them. She credited me. 
   The operator listened to my complaint about editing robo calls which is hard on the phone. She is giving me 12 months long distance for $8 cheaper than what I pay now. 
    I'll cancel it after that year and hope they will fix the robo calls. It's not available here yet. 
    My son cancelled his due to robo calls and never using it.  But I must have my captioned phone to read conversations. 

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

I still have my land line because I'm hearing disabled and can't hear on my cell well. Fortunately I have a captioned phone so I can read what people say. 
  My alarm system uses it to dial out.

I called Cox, my service because there was a .90 charge for long distance.(I never call that) it was for 5 seconds.
It happened to be to them. She credited me. 
   The operator listened to my complaint about editing robo calls which is hard on the phone. She is giving me 12 months long distance for $8 cheaper than what I pay now. 
    I'll cancel it after that year and hope they will fix the robo calls. It's not available here yet. 
    My son cancelled his due to robo calls and never using it.  But I must have my captioned phone to read conversations. 

@1Snickers   My hearing aids are bluetoothed directly to my cell. It's the only phone I do hear well on...everyone knows to call me on that number.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  Thanks, but I'm deaf on one ear so only have the one hearing aid. That ear is very bad also. I can sometimes hear on my cell but even with Bluetooth it's hard to understand the words. 
 The captioned phone was free through my audiologist and it's helpful if I need to make calls. The only trouble is that someone is listening to type what is said. 
  Therefore I don't do banking or use credit cards, etc. over that phone. 

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@Shanus  Thanks, but I'm deaf on one ear so only have the one hearing aid. That ear is very bad also. I can sometimes hear on my cell but even with Bluetooth it's hard to understand the words. 
 The captioned phone was free through my audiologist and it's helpful if I need to make calls. The only trouble is that someone is listening to type what is said. 
  Therefore I don't do banking or use credit cards, etc. over that phone. 

@1Snickers   So sorry. I didn't know. 

Honored Contributor

It depends on you.  We got rid of ours about a year or so ago.

Initially when we had TimeWarner Cable, they had cable, internet and phone bundled so it would have cost us more a month to get rid of it.

Once Spectrum took over and we moved over to a Spectrum customer, they don't have that bundle anymore so we saved $20.00 a month dropping it.  We didn't want it or need it anymore anyhow.  

Respected Contributor

My cell phone is a mini computer don't call me when I am shopping or at a resturant unless emergency. I don't take it in bedroom or bathroom or even have it attached to my hip. DH has all his on the cell now. I know I should do that get rid of land line but when I want to talk I answer land line. so many can multi task. I can't give full attention when I am not home. I love skype or email please use that. I have to use land line to talk my brother that lives around mountains the cell drops off at times. I know the land line will be gone but for now will continue to use it. 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus ,

Do you mean Vop for the land line? If so, since its connected via the Internet even if on a hard wired phone line your service can go down.

I have the hard wired land line with old school service (not Vop) and all I know is that 16 years ago when the Midwestern grid went down for 4 days in August 2003, I was the only one on my block that had phone access. No electricity, no cell service, etc, no traffic lights, no stores or restaurants. I thought at the time that a terrorist act had shut the grid down, but of course this was only 2 years post 9/11.

So, to answer your question, Yes, I need a land line and will always have one. Only you can determine for yourself if it is indeed a necessity for you.

dee