Honored Contributor

Re: DIDNT EVEN THINK OF THIS

And how exactly is she setting the stage for him to be independent?

Trusted Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

The kid won't work, he won't get a drivers license, he doesn't walk across the street to go to classes. Where is his dad? You are being manipulated and used by your daughter. Give him a month to get a job and if he doesn't give him the boot. You've done more than enough. The enabling needs to stop! He is not entitled to anything. I would be interested in knowing what his major is as well as his GPA.

Is this how you raised your children? They were not entitled to anything?

Trusted Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

And how exactly is she setting the stage for him to be independent?

She is helping him to get an education. Educated people get better jobs. Better jobs mean more money and more opportunity for advancement, plus health care and retirement contributions.

More money, better opportunity for advancement, good health and good savings= independence.

Esteemed Contributor

If he is using up the data, then change the password, so he can't log on.  He can complete his online classes at the library or anywhere there is free wi-fi.

Through previous postings, the OP has issues with her daughter. Specifically, as I recall because the ex has taken in the daughter and at one time it was reported that the daughter doesn't have to work.  While the OP has to work two jobs.

Trusted Contributor

My kids worked part time in high school and in college.   It can be done.    

Honored Contributor

Obviously you didn't think the arrangement through at all and that's unfortunate.  I'm assuming you made the arrangement with the young man's parents so I would.have the discussion with them.  I assume you are low income if this $10 increase is stressing your budget.  They must know that.  Do what you should have done in the first place.  Make a "before" your grandson moved in budget and an "after" he moved in budget and provide your income.  Include food, utilities, hot water, cable.  They should be paying the overcharge.  Sure, they'll be mad because this is coming out of the blue.  It's up to them to work it out with their son.  Maybe it's as simple as him getting a part-time job and paying you room and board.  Yes, he might be upset because it was not part of the original agreement.  

Trusted Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

If he is using up the data, then change the password, so he can't log on.  He can complete his online classes at the library or anywhere there is free wi-fi.

Through previous postings, the OP has issues with her daughter. Specifically, as I recall because the ex has taken in the daughter and at one time it was reported that the daughter doesn't have to work.  While the OP has to work two jobs.

This child is not responsible for the relationship between his mother and his grandmother. He is trying to go to school. 

Did you help your kids or grandkids? I would never take out my frustrations with my daughter on my grandson. ESPECIALLY when he is doing what he should be doing.

How unmaternal and cruel.

Respected Contributor

From a number of posts, the OP seems afraid of and almost fearful of the daughter. 

That is rather disturbing. 

Honored Contributor

@SoCal Bred wrote:

@Luvsmyfam 

If you don't mind me asking, is the grandfather of your grandson whom your daughter is living with I believe helping you with any of the expenses while your grandson is staying with you during the week?

Why would the grandfather be involved?  It's not his son.  This was an strange the op made with her daughter.  Apparently without considering expenses.  

Respected Contributor

@Travone wrote:

If he is right across the street from the college why isn't he attending classes live instead of online?

And walking over there to do his homework.