Honored Contributor

Re: Cutting the cord

[ Edited ]

@Meowingkitty   You have all the bases covered!  Thanks for sharing.

Valued Contributor

@phoenixbrd  We cut the cable cord over two years ago and have never looked back. We are saving a lot of money and haven't given up any channels we wanted. We use HULU LIVE streaming service and we like it as much or more than cable. And the price is MUCH better than cable. We got so disgusted with the cable prices that we tried the 7 day free trials with HULU and Youtube TV streaming services. We liked HULU better and went with that. We get all the channels we wanted and many more. With HULU we get all our local stations (ABC, CBS, NBC) and national news networks like Fox News, CNN etc. DH wanted his ESPN channels and got those. I wanted HGTV and TCM and have those. Like I said, we get plenty of channels with HULU LIVE. My suggestion would be to use the 7 day free trials most streaming services offer and decide which one you like the best. Hope things work out well for you.

Honored Contributor

@cimeranrose  Thank you for this information.  We looked at HULU line-up and they offer more that we are currently getting with our expensive Spectrrum.  We are considering the free trial.  Your confirmation reassures us that we might be headed in the right direction.  Thanks for your share.

Honored Contributor

@patbz   Appreciate your response....looks as through you are not missing out on anything!  You are so lucky to live in a "mountain town"...I'll bet you spend less time in front of a tv than I do Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@traveler wrote:

Cordcittersnews.com

lots of advice

@traveler 

I can’t find this site, we’re you teasing us?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

I cut the cord about 3 years ago and I love it. I have Netflix and Hulu and I just recently purchased a Samsung 70 inch Smart TV and it comes with a bunch of movies and I also recently found Tubi, it's free with ads but I find I'm watching more of Tubi these days. 

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd Cable Companies are out of control and do not have a great many competitors in their areas.  It might be a good idea for the US government to inationalizw the cable racket just like the utility companies are today. It could not be worse or maybe even.

Trusted Contributor

@qvcfreak I watch Midsomer Murders on PBS, they show them Thursdays but half one week & then the other half the next week, come to find out Tubi shows the whole episode so I can watch the rest there.  Like you said they do have ads but it's not too bad.  

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd- We had Directv which was reasonable before it was bought by ATT.  The straw which broke the camel's back was when our price doubled and were going to loose channels.

We cut the cord with an antennaes we got from the swap meet (go figure).  Broadcast tv has everything we need and channels are added almost weekly.  And it's free.

Super Contributor

@phoenixbrd We also cut the cord & signed up with YouTube TV.  It's great for us as we travel in our RV & can watch from anywhere. They also have unlimited DVR recording in the cloud so no need for any kind of box. It's month to month, no contracts either. I definitely recommend. Bye for now 👋🏻