Honored Contributor

Crystal & Mineral Collection

[ Edited ]

I taught science for over 30 years before I retired early for health reasons. Two of the collections I had were crystals & minerals. In addition to growing their own crystals in the lab, my students used their observation, measurement, & classification skills by selecting pieces from my collection to observe more closely. 

I also had a rock collection (FYI - Your science lesson of the day: Rocks and minerals are not the same thing), fossil collection, and a shell collection. Each of my collections contained at least 100 pieces. I found, bought, & collected quite a bit over the years. I gave most of my collections to other science teachers, but I did keep a few of my favorite pieces.

Here are the items I kept from my crystal & mineral collection. They are displayed in a cabinet, but I took them out for the photos. I’ll post some of my other collections another day. 

Does anyone else have any crystals or minerals? 

Agate slice 

13E8F987-CA8B-434E-B659-88797ACBD593.jpeg

Large quartz crystal 

128A66F1-6C2F-45A8-8251-DAAF35BE9FF7.jpeg

From Top left: Blue sodalite, aragonite, green fluorite, and clear quartz

IMG_0249.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Crystal & Mineral Collection

Hi @wilma   The previous owners (husband and wife original owner) left some kind of crystal in the front garden bed of my house, under the water spigot.  I never moved it and don't know what it is.  I think I will go out there, wash it off a little and get a photo of it.  Maybe you'll know what it is Woman Very Happy

Give me a few minutes. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@wilma these are gorgeous! My late mom used to collect these--and my dad gave them to me becuase I always liked them so much. When I was kid, I always said I was going to be a geologist when I grew up. I collected everything and had tons of books on rocks and minerals. You made my day by sharing this and reminding me of that hobby I used to have. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have always enjoyed their beauty but was not interested in collecting them.  I love seeing your collection.  Thank you.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@wilma   Here's the interesting 'formation' from my front yard.  I don't know what it is but I like it Woman Happy

IMG_3059 (400x300).jpg

IMG_3060 (400x300).jpg

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Contributor

Natural Amethyst.  Once while traveling around Lake Superior my husband and I came across an amethyst mine in Canada.  It was quite the off road experience  and we were in our car.  Finally got there and had one hour to tour the grounds.  Didn’t get to see a mine, but they had chunks of this amethyst Laying around the grounds that you could buy by the pound.  It was fun, but I expected being able to see the mining process.  That is a really pretty piece.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wilma -

Those are beautiful.

I especially like the clear quartz.

I've always thought  that the study of "rocks" was fascinating but was just more interested to see a pretty something or other laying on the ground or in a gift shop.

My favorite one is a green sparkly one I got from the gift shop at Sunset Beach at Cape May Point and an amethyst one I got from some little shop.

I gave my mother some rose quartz worry stones and a green one. 

Rose quartz is so pretty too.

And some of the jewelry HSN used to have, had very interesting stones.

Thank you for showing these!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@wilma  Wow, how interesting.  I've always loved this sort of thing.....maybe that's why I'm a jewelry nut!  I have a nice piece of amethyst, about the size of a basketball.  It sits on the floor near my fireplace.

The most beautiful and largest geode I've ever seen is a citrine in Jackson Hole WY, It was as tall as I am, fabulous, of course it is my birthstone, wish I could've brought it home.  LOL

Thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

@wilma Very interesting!  I have a big chunk of the green stone you have on the lover right.  Can you please remind me of what it is?  I've had it since before I was a teen and had a large rock collection.  Thanks!Smiley Happy

Contributor

You taught all those years, I'm impressed by that-- AND your collection. I bet they look gorgeous in a curio.