Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Bermuda?  I love it.  Beautiful homes, friendly, good deals on skin care. I think the locals are wealthier than most of us.  Leave jewelry home no matter where you go.

Super Contributor

I went on a cruise to the Bahamas last summer, no problems.  We went diving and stayed in the tourist part where the shopping is.  Now Mexico is the other hand is a dangerous place, you couldn't pay me enough to go there.  I have many horror stories.

Esteemed Contributor

We will be taking a similar cruise in April.  This will be my fifth cruise anywhere.  I tend to leave jewelry at home.  Not afraid of being robbed just losing it somewhere. We are careful when we go ashore, always taking the tours sanctioned by the cruise line... cost more perhaps, but I feel safer.  And I don't like being bombarded by the locals to buy things which often happens.  But I will add it happened in Alaska and also in Key West and we are talking about the USA.  

I might make one suggestion.  I don't take any hanging bag or tote ashore.  I wear a vest with secure  pockets.  I eliminate the opportunity for someone to snatch my purse.  They will have to snatch me first if they want something.Man Very Happy

Spoiler

Respected Contributor
You have valid reasons for concern. We will NOT take any cruise that stops in Mexico or the Bahamas. If you must however, I would not leave the ship at the Mexico ports. In the Bahamas, maybe -- but do not wear anything that even looks expensive and do not carry a bag or purse. As others have said ONLY take excursions provided by the cruise line.
Super Contributor

Whenever I travel, be it land or sea, foreign or domestic, I NEVER take any jewelry.  I wear only a cheap watch.   Even traveling in the US, as others have stated, it is just too easy to leave something behind.  have a great time!

Respected Contributor

Furry, listen to your gut.

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Most cruise ships have safes in the rooms.

I have been to the Bahamas many times and never found it unsafe, yes the vendos can be annoying but 90% of them are harmless.

Jamacia is the only destination that I felt uneasy about leaving our resort

oxox, I am having a problem reading your post because of the color and the small print. 

Valued Contributor

I have been on many cruises. Best to leave your good jewelry at home and wear costume jewelry. When you get off the ship for excrusions etc.  don't even wear anything that looks like gold or of any value. You don't want to draw attention to yourself. We don't even get off the ship if the port is in Mexico. Bahamas is ok but always stay with a group and don't go off by yourselves. In many of the islands, the locals can be very pushy and in your face re: buying their wares. You just have to shake your head and keep saying NO if you are not interested. Jamaica is a port I find to feel a bit unsafe so my advice is always take ship sponsored tours or excursions.  

Honored Contributor

I have been to the Bahamas many times and never found it unsafe, yes the vendos can be annoying but 90% of them are harmless.

---

reposted due to incipid comments, yeah I am annoyed 

sorry 

@Big Sister wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

oxox, I am having a problem reading your post because of the color and the small print. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I've cruised a lot the last 4 or 5 years.  Don't take expensive jewelry - why chance it?   And yes, many ports when you get off the ship, have local vendors who will follow you wanting you to buy their wares or as others have said, drugs.  Just walk past all those and often depending upon where you dock - many times ports have a staged area of vendors inside tents all selling their wares in a centralized location.