Valued Contributor

Hello,

I will be going on a cruise and I wondering how careful we should be at any of the ports.  As I understand it, the Bahamas and Mexico tend to be dangerous.  Should I leave my jewelry and camera at home?  I could purchase a throw away camera and wear less expensive jewelry.  I am wondering if I am being a Debbie Downer.  We have cruised to this area in the past without any issues.  However, I feel something in my gut this time about safety.  What do you think?

Respected Contributor
I say to follow your gut - leave the good stuff at home. Enjoy your cruise!
Esteemed Contributor

I would leave the expensive stuff home. When we left the ship we were constantly bombarded by people trying to sell us things. My daughter was approached by people trying to sell her drugs. My husband has no desire to go back there.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cruising to the Bahamas

[ Edited ]
I've always felt safe when traveling to the Bahamas, and we didn't have any problems when we took a 7-day cruise. I prefer not to travel with my expensive jewelry. I've never been to Mexico, but I do plan to return to Bahamas within the next year. I wish you a happy safe trip @furry! Smiley Happy

ETA: In the market areas, the most aggressive sales were from lots of people who repeatedly wanted to braid my hair. "Lady! I braid you hair for a dollar!" That mostly happened when I wore my hair down, so now I put it up or braid it myself before we go out and about. We've never been approached to buy drugs, but vendors do promote items like baskets and jewelry. I don't think it's any worse than going to an American flea market, though.
Respected Contributor

I went on a cruise over 20 years ago.  There were stops at St. Marteen, St. Thomas, and the Bahamas.  The Bahamas was the only place we were not allowed to leave the group and fo off on our own.  We didn't even go inland as a group.  We stayed on the beach.  They told us it was not the best decision to go inland. 

Also went to Cancun Mexico and I was approached by several people commenting on my gold necklace and ring and were made offers to buy them.  So .... I would go with your gut and leave it at home.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

Most cruise ships have safes in the rooms.

I have been to the Bahamas many times and never found it unsafe, yes the vendos can be annoying but 90% of them are harmless.

Jamacia is the only destination that I felt uneasy about leaving our resort

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor
For awhile the cruise ship weren't even going to Jamica because people were being hounded to buy drugs. I'm sure it hurt their economy. Maybe they've cleaned it up now.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

My husband and I cruise frequently to the Bahamas and Mexico, as recently as 4 weeks ago, and we have NEVER had an incident. I don't tempt fate by wearing good jewelry, I simply wear diamonique or costume jewelry. You can buy beautiful, tropical looking costume jewelry right here on QVC, and it seems more appropriate on a fun cruise than the real stuff. By the way, there is an INCREDIBLE restaurant right on the wharf in Nassau where the cruise ships dock called Lukka's. We have travelled the world and this was some of the best food we have ever eaten anywhere. Have a fun cruise!!

Respected Contributor
We have cruised to Bahamas and suffered being bombarded by traders - however did not feel frightened just got fed up with the constant attention. Cruised to Jamaica -totally different story were advised to go only on supervised tours - which we did - but were not allowed to stop at colorful markets too dangerous. Very sad. Last Xmas we were in Mexico at Cabo st. Lucas and everywhere we went were armed soldiers - did not feel very relaxed. All in all love the cruises but just go by your gut and advice from the ship personnel. Such a shame as we have only felt this kind of danger the last 6 years or so. DH says no more after Mexico.
Valued Contributor

Re: Cruising to the Bahamas

[ Edited ]

deleted by poster