Trusted Contributor

Re: Covid vaccine side effects specifically dizziness/vertigo

@suzyQ3  I sure hope not. And maybe it's a good thing I had the shot because you do get 60% immunity from the first dose. It might have been a lot worse. I'm just so despondent because my second dose was scheduled for April 5 and that's now down the toilet. I really wanted to be fully vaccinated so I could go and visit my daughter in another state. I haven't seen her since Christmas of 2019 or my son and grandkids for almost 2 years. That's all off now. 

Trusted Contributor

@ Kachina624 Thanks for the good wishes. I must have picked it up somewhere because the virus is everywhere. In the air, on surfaces, just everywhere. You really can't hide from a miccrobe. They are just too tiny. I guess I was just venting before. Actually I am feeling better but my cough is still hanging on. I didn't know what I had because I started out sneezing 10-12 times in a row, and you normally don't sneeze with covid. The sneezing lasted 4 days and then turned into a cough and a low-grade fever. I went to the doctor a couple of days later and of course they did a test. The doctor checked my oxygen level; it was perfect and my lungs were clear. He didn't think it was covid, and gave me some cough pearls and steroid spray, which seem to help. Imagine my shock when they called me last night and said my test was positive. I am thoroughly despondent.

Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@suzyQ3  I sure hope not. And maybe it's a good thing I had the shot because you do get 60% immunity from the first dose. It might have been a lot worse. I'm just so despondent because my second dose was scheduled for April 5 and that's now down the toilet. I really wanted to be fully vaccinated so I could go and visit my daughter in another state. I haven't seen her since Christmas of 2019 or my son and grandkids for almost 2 years. That's all off now. 

@Buffalogal47, if you are well by the date for your 2nd shot, can't you keep that appointment? Worse comes to worse, you could get it a bit late. If you are advised not to, though, I would imagine that between the first shot and the virus itself, you should be fairly protected. Ask you medical provider.

However it goes, you will see your family soon. I know how you feel, though. Try to think positive, especially that it doesn't sound as if you bout with the virus is severe.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@chicletFunny you mention the loose ear crsytals. I had never heard of that but it happened to my son just last week.

He went to bed and then came stumbling through the kitchen saying "The world is spinning and all I did was lay down".

He is an adult but not vaccinated yet so I did a quick search what would cause that. I found some research on benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. It comes on suddenly and can last or go away on it's own.

To check for yourself, I found some really easy things to do to make it stop. My son tried the EPLEY positioning and in 15 minutes he could lay down and he wasn't dizzy. It was pretty remarkable.

There are 4 body things you can do depending on your description of what you are feeling and you can read about them at https://www.webmd.com/brain/home-remedies-vertigo.

Might save a call to the doctor if any of these work!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had my second Pfizer dose on Monday, the 22nd at approximately 10:30.  Sat there afterwards for about ten minutes.  About 20 minutes into my ride home, I started feeling like I was getting car sick.  By the time I got home, I was sweating bullets and the nausea had gotten so bad that I let my bedroom window up and got in bed after I took a Dramamine.  Two hours later I took another one.  By around 7 pm, I felt well enough to eat something.  Next day, still nauseous but better.  Today is Sunday and it's practically gone but I just don't feel well.  Almost there, though.

So glad I'm retired and can stay home.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Wow, I thought it was just me.  My brother got dizzy and almost passed out too.  So, wow.  This was hours later too, not right after the shot.  He had a 1st and mine was a 2nd.  

Esteemed Contributor

I know one person who thinks their severe body aches are from the vaccine.  They started same day as the first shot, started to ease up a little and returned fully after the second shot.  

Trusted Contributor

@gabstoomuch wrote:

@chicletFunny you mention the loose ear crsytals. I had never heard of that but it happened to my son just last week.

He went to bed and then came stumbling through the kitchen saying "The world is spinning and all I did was lay down".

He is an adult but not vaccinated yet so I did a quick search what would cause that. I found some research on benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. It comes on suddenly and can last or go away on it's own.

To check for yourself, I found some really easy things to do to make it stop. My son tried the EPLEY positioning and in 15 minutes he could lay down and he wasn't dizzy. It was pretty remarkable.

There are 4 body things you can do depending on your description of what you are feeling and you can read about them at https://www.webmd.com/brain/home-remedies-vertigo.

Might save a call to the doctor if any of these work!

@gabstoomuch The ear crystals can move around when you wash your hair and get water in your ears, your son could try using ear plugs like swimmers wear. I take a zyrtec and it helps alot, hope your son is better, it is miserable. 

Honored Contributor

First off: What are ear crystals??

I read an article the day after my first Moderna shot that stated that most flu like reactions to the first shot indicate, in all likelihood, that you've already had Covid!

If you haven't had it then you're more likely to react to the second dose...

I only had the muscle ache. My second dose is 4/15

Honored Contributor

In some instances:

Could be dangerous, driving home alone.

Maybe folks should have a driver or take Uber home.

Just in case.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).