Honored Contributor

Re: Covid vaccine side effects specifically dizziness/vertigo

I hadn't heard that as a side affect.  I know of an elderly lady who got her first shot about a week ago and she says she has been so exhausted since she got it she can hardly navigate.  I told her to contact her doctor and she has.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

This may not be related in any way to the vaccine (pfizer). I have had dizziness and vertigo and I think it started after the vaccine.  I just felt it was those crystals that get loose in your ear.  However, I have found out that my friend has the same thing and saw online others have had this.  

@chiclet  Hmmm. I've heard of various side effects, but not that one, sorry. I'd go to your doc to have it checked. With dizziness and vertigo, you can fall which could be dangerous. 

Honored Contributor

@FatCatinCT wrote:

I got my second shot (Pfizer) on Friday and felt amazing!  Got 6984 more steps on my fitbit then my best day!  Grocery shopping, laundry, housework, lots of running around, I thought I was golden.  Fast forward to 11:30PM Friday night.  103.2 fever, shaking so bad my husband thought I was having seizures.  I was so cold he got every blanket we owned and put them, and his body over mine to try to warm me up.  Truly, one of the top 10 worst nights of my life.  I tried to let my body fight it but gave in at 3am, taking advil and tylenol intermittently.  Yesterday I did not feel great at all, today I still have a 99.2 (I run 97.4) and my muscles hurt all over.  Strangley, my arm in which I had the shot never hurt.

My son came over today, he has many people under him at work and said that all the women my age all had the same symptoms.  Meh....  I am happy for those who had little to no side effects, trust me, you've been blessed!

Interesting, I got the first Pfizer vaccine after having a 3 week Covid infection. I had symptoms similar to yours DURING the Covid infection, and a similar, but more brief reaction after my first vaccination.

I can't wait to finish my vaccination series this coming weekend. It will hopefully open the door to seeing my 92 yo relative, a TWO TIME Covid survivor, in person, after over 6 months' distancing.

I think the basic scientific assumption is probably "The reaction to the vaccine can  be pretty miserable, but having the infection itself (at least at my age) is probably worse. 

HOPE you're feeling MUCH BETTER, OP!

Trusted Contributor

I had both doses of Pfizer with zero side effects. My companion had the same vaccines and he felt sleepy the first day. But then he is always sleepy lol.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@chiclet   You should be concened if it continues for more than one or two days.   I did experience tiredness the next day and ended up take a 2 or 3 hr. nap and then I had difficulty falling asleep that night.  lol  If anyone breaks out in hives or has the chills, I would call the dr. immediately and get over to Immediate Care or the Emergency Room.

@Katcat1, this is a very common reaction, especially to the 2nd shot. It's harmless and usually lasts just a day or two.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

From now and the next 6 month everytime someone has an ache, pain or any abnormality, they'll attribute it to the covid vaccine.  Maybe it's just a coincidence? 

I actually thought this too.  I see by one post that they said dizzyness could be a side affect but yeah, coincidence?  Could be but I would, like another poster said, consult doctor.  I have to take two water pills because of mitral valve prolapse.  This medication has a tendency to give me dizzy spells here and there.  They are only fleeting and not frequent though but I do get them so I would not know.  I have not had the shot yet.  I have to talk with my doctor first because of my heart issue and one more issue to make sure it's not a "beaker full of death" for me.  LOL...

Respected Contributor

@FatCatinCT wrote:

I got my second shot (Pfizer) on Friday and felt amazing!  Got 6984 more steps on my fitbit then my best day!  Grocery shopping, laundry, housework, lots of running around, I thought I was golden.  Fast forward to 11:30PM Friday night.  103.2 fever, shaking so bad my husband thought I was having seizures.  I was so cold he got every blanket we owned and put them, and his body over mine to try to warm me up.  Truly, one of the top 10 worst nights of my life.  I tried to let my body fight it but gave in at 3am, taking advil and tylenol intermittently.  Yesterday I did not feel great at all, today I still have a 99.2 (I run 97.4) and my muscles hurt all over.  Strangley, my arm in which I had the shot never hurt.

My son came over today, he has many people under him at work and said that all the women my age all had the same symptoms.  Meh....  I am happy for those who had little to no side effects, trust me, you've been blessed!

OH MY STARS!!!!  That is awful and dangerous.  You had 103.  After two more degrees, you would have needed hospitalization, you poor thing!!!  I had the flu years ago and had 103.  I started having tunnel vision and seeing "dark".  I was in a LOT of body pain.  You must have suffered badly.  So sorry, hope you feel better real soon.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

Dizziness was not one of the post vaccine symptoms on my sheet.  I also got a text follow up on my cell phone for 2 weeks sfter the injection.  It was collecting data.  Dizziness was not something they asked about.  You really should call your own doctor.  Just because it happened around the time you had the vaccine doesn't mean it's related to the vaccine.

@Chrystaltree

It is one of the 4 listed severe reactions not on the regular expected list. I had it very severely for 10 days along with numbness in one hand and on the side of my face. I also had a lump a little larger than an egg that came up on my shoulder close to the base of my neck. It should be reported to CDC, Pfizer and your physician.

I could not stay up but a few minutes and had great difficulty reporting to the CDC due to the time out and losing all the information. My physician reported to the CDC. I was able to report to Pfizer and they were in touch shortly. They do need data from those of us that are immune-suppressed since we were not included in the trials.

My physicians decided that I was at such risk that I should get the 2nd vaccine.  I was really scared but I did it. The second one went well other than fatigue and another lump much smaller. It was nothing compared to the first. Thank Goodness.

Here is the list From Pfizer for severe reactions. There is a similar list for each vaccine. The CDC list the links.

Signs of a severe allergic reaction can include:

Difficulty breathing

Swelling of your face and throat

A fast heartbeat

A bad rash all over your body

Dizziness and weakness

New Contributor

Vertigo IS a Covid vaccine side-effect! One week to the day after receiving my second Moderna shot I woke up to such severe dizziness and vomiting that I was rushed to the ER where after a full battery of tests I was diagnosed with a vertigo attack. It’s now one week later and the vertigo is slowly abating. I’ve been on other forums that have a plethora of posts from others who have had identical vertigo reactions days after the last injection. Because my symptoms came on a week after the last shot the ER doc wouldn’t even consider the vaccine as the cause. He’s wrong and there are enough cause and effect examples out there to prove it.
I’m on high blood pressure medicine which may make one more susceptible.
Do not discount your vertigo as unrelated to the Covid vaccine! I’ve put in a report with VAERS, the CDCs Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System.
We are blessed that emergency vaccine approval has been expedited. We just have to be aware of longer term side effected that pre-clinical testing didn’t have the time to identify. I’ll take this dizziness over being on a respirator with Covid any day although this vertigo is not life threatening but isn’t at all pleasant.
Highlighted
New Contributor

There’s a website (vestibular.org) where you may want to posts from many many others who have had the same vertigo symptoms after receiving their first or second vaccine. Symptoms that don’t come on for days after the last shot. My vertigo came on like gang busters a week after the second shot.