Esteemed Contributor

@50Mickey :  I live in the N.E.AZ mountains, 3 hrs N. of Phoenix. Population 14,000 only have a WM and a Safeway.  Nearest Costco or Sams is 3 hrs and yes, our WM shelves are at best 3/4 full and if there is snow, like today, it slows down deliveries.

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I think DH and I are preparing for end times.  In addition to a ridiculous amount of TP our garage is a bunker, food wise. Six big chrome shelving units stuffed to the max plus a stocked downstairs frig and a new upright 15.5cu ft freezer.  We hit WM at least weekly and now go monthly to Costco(3 hrs away) and frequently use Sams online delivery.

To each his or her own, but I think you are smart, @patbz. I stocked up early on in this, but have been using some of my stock, and replacing what I use with my weekly Wal Mart or Kroger order. My stash is being used, and I'm sure yours is too. Quite frankly, I like knowing we are set. The only thing I think I went overboard with is all these bags of dried beans. 

I can't get the shot yet, my dh is now able because he is an energy worker, he will get his first one next week. I will get mine asap.

Someone else passed away from my small comunity last week, he was only 62. That seems awful young to me.

Respected Contributor

Are you serious? YOu are lecturing about stress and health during a pandemic?????? WOW!  I think it's normal to be cautious and concerned. Those who aren't or haven't been at all over the past year would be considered abnormal I think! 

People have caught covid by being out doing errands. WEAR A MASK, DISTANCE and don't be selfish!

Honored Contributor

I've never stopped shopping. Life for me really hasn't changed from my usual routine. I go to restaurants (when open). My Costco trips haven't changed whatsoever. I can't imagine living life in fear. Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I've never been inside a Costco, but am thinking of getting a membership. What I'd really like is a store where I can get virtually everything on my shopping list. Is that what the attraction is? 

Trusted Contributor

@AuntG the appeal of Costco/BJs type stores is the fact almost everything is OVERSIZED portions.   You won't find much that is a "single serving" lol.  It is great to get laundry detergent, soaps, cleaners, papertowels, drinks etc...stuff you can always use that don't really go bad.  If you have a separate freezer it's great.  Think Walmart but with bigger usage sizes.  They do sell clothes, decorations, electronics etc as well.  I go once and a while with my daughter but it gets expensive as the bigger the portion the bigger the price lol.  

Honored Contributor

Thank you @eadu4 . Really good deals are nice, but it would take us so long to use a half gallon of syrup or salad dressing so I guess I had better forget about it. Aldi's has been my favorite place for kitchen staples so I'll stay with them. Now, if it weren't just two of us, and we had younger kids at home, it would be perfect.

Honored Contributor

Costco still has limits on certain foods like tunafish and bacon.  

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Thank you @eadu4 . Really good deals are nice, but it would take us so long to use a half gallon of syrup or salad dressing so I guess I had better forget about it. Aldi's has been my favorite place for kitchen staples so I'll stay with them. Now, if it weren't just two of us, and we had younger kids at home, it would be perfect.

It's  just the two of us and we shop at Costco.   We do not buy 1/2 gallons of anything, except maybe laundry soap.

I don't find the packages are too big.  They sell for instance...6 small cans of tuna wrapped in cellophane.  Two jars of pasta sauce tied together., two loaves of bread in a plastic bag, a large bag of veggies with 6 smaller individual bags in there.

I buy a box of six Phillips crab cakes, Milton's frozen gluten free pizza...two to a box.

Butter is sold in 4 one pound boxes cellophaned together. Half and half is sold by the quart and bananas sold by the bunch.

Most items are sold in the same sizes you can buy at the grocery store, but two or items are often packaged together and sold as one unit.

You can visit the store without a membership and RX drugs can be purchased without a membership any time.

Honored Contributor

I like Costco's senior hours.  No many people in the warehouse but I have been getting deliveries from them about every two weeks.