Honored Contributor

Re: Corporate holiday party will be western wear this year

Why does it have to be a theme?  I wouldn't go.

Pick a low key, casual place to have it and be done with it.

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake 

Yet another reason I am glad I was always a punch the time clock employee, aka, blue collar worker. No putting on being someone I am not. My idea of a party, is music/dancing/some drinks and snacks. Dress however you feel best for who you are, and mostly enjoy being there.

Went to lots of parties, but the only "sit down dinners" were in some way connected to a wedding or an after funeral event. These were mostly with friends, none of which were in any way connected to my employer. My wife? She never was/is or will be a party person, dress up, or dress down types.

Sounds like this new CEO is listening to his employees to me!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to hate when I had to attend those with my hubby. I would rather be home doing laundry. Fortunately they stopped doing these fake get togethers. There were always the people who had inside jokes and the spouses just stood there with a fake smile pretending to be interested.  One year my husband was supposed to go to 3 parties in one weekend. Naturally they were all on the other side of town plus I certainly did not want to buy outfits that I would never wear again.  I hate getting dressed up and I don't wear dresses or heels. We booked a flight to San Diego that weekend and said sorry couldn't make it 

Honored Contributor

If western wear means cowboy hats, boots and fringe, I wouldn't like that at all. If the new CEO simply means casual and denim friendly, I'm all for it. My favorite look would be indigo jeans, a burgundy sweater, shoe boots and an pretty necklace or holiday pin.

Esteemed Contributor

Ours is during business hours.  Either go (& get paid)  or take PTO.  I take PTO.  I went one year.  They give everyone a $50 gift card.  I get mine after the party. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

Ours is during business hours.  Either go (& get paid)  or take PTO.  I take PTO.  I went one year.  They give everyone a $50 gift card.  I get mine after the party. 

I would rather take PTO too. Time off is more important to me than a party.

Honored Contributor

SOONER:Geting dressed up and going out has nothing to do w/the punishment. It is attending these corporate thingies.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

I agree, a spiffed up night out of one's own choosing should be something to look forward to on an occasioal basis. That said, I don't miss the days of semi-mandatory, 'a good time was had by all', forced social events. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Meh... I'll give the new manager props for trying to de-escalate the event, if that's what people wanted, and while there's nothing wrong with 'retro', the notion of a western wear party feels sort of Urban Cowboy/Dallas 80's... Not sure I'd want to channel Sue Ellen Ewing or, better yet, Blanche Devereaux going to a western barbecue...

Woman Very Happy

Image result for blanche devereaux cowgirl outfit

Personally, if I felt i had to go, I think I'd rather look at it as an opportunity to maybe get a new outfit, get dolled up and break a few hearts...

Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake , I haven't read the other posts but I wanted to say I hated the annual corporate party, absolutely hated it.  I had to attend, no exception there.  And to have to dress up on top of it all, even worse!  Don't miss that at all.  LM