Esteemed Contributor

...that our world is smaller than we thought. The virus is on all continents, making the world one place facing the same enemy. I've been in touch with my friends in France. One friend, whose husband died last summer, moved in with her daughter, who did not want her mother to shelter-in-place alone. Another French friend, whose son was born very prematurely, was informed that he is on his own, since French doctors are overwhelmed with coronavirus cases. The baby is now over 6 pounds so fingers are crossed that all will go well. We are living in extraordinary times.

Honored Contributor

You are so right! I'll be praying for that baby and the family.

Esteemed Contributor

Vivian, I was texting with flight attendant daughter this morning. She's traveling from Newark to Seattle and is mandatory quarantined at hotel for 24 hour layover. Sounds like sleep, cable and room service. Something she'd love any other time.

None of us feel safe. Went to grocery store at 7 - 8am for people 60 and over. The young clerks looked nervous. Bless anyone on the front lines. I dropped off groceries to our son - not working for the rest of the week - hopefully back on Monday. Saw our 19 mo old grandson from the other side of the door. He ran for us, but we walked away. That was tough. He was a NICU baby with spring allergies and son is doing best to keep him isolated, as much as possible. Came home and washed our clothes and hands after unloading groceries.

Keeping your French friends in prayers for our globe. Noticed Rio in Brazil - Christ statue, is lit with flags of the world. Warmed my heart. We're living in another world now. Praying for hope AND PATIENCE.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

This virus has caused us to really open our eyes to a very serious situation. I'm just amazed that so many people are worried about not being able to get their hair and nails done. What ever happened to priorities? Of course we all miss things, I miss going to church and the library but I'm not in a panic over it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

...that our world is smaller than we thought. The virus is on all continents, making the world one place facing the same enemy. I've been in touch with my friends in France. One friend, whose husband died last summer, moved in with her daughter, who did not want her mother to shelter-in-place alone. Another French friend, whose son was born very prematurely, was informed that he is on his own, since French doctors are overwhelmed with coronavirus cases. The baby is now over 6 pounds so fingers are crossed that all will go well. We are living in extraordinary times.

I'm praying for that baby. 

Respected Contributor

I was reading up on the deadly Spanish flu back in 1918 (I think I have the year right) and I was surprised how it spread globally way back then. 

Esteemed Contributor

More American soldiers during WW1 died of Spanish flu than died in combat.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Coronavirus Reminds Us

[ Edited ]

@itsmagic wrote:

I was reading up on the deadly Spanish flu back in 1918 (I think I have the year right) and I was surprised how it spread globally way back then. 

I watched a PBS segment last night that talked about Influenza 1918.  There was no name given for that flu but they thought the origins started in the west when some military were burning ... if you believe this ... cow manure.

The smoke caused many men to be infected - some immediately and some men carriers and infected other military.

It is a frightening event.