Respected Contributor

Re: Consistent Negative Comments ~ Do They Bother You?

I don't think jealousy has anything to do with negative comments.  That is just pop psychology.  There are positive and negative people and they each express their view quite differently.  

When a negative comment is made about a host, for example, a responder will invariably say the poster is just jealous. 

This is just the responder being unable to express herself articulately.  Instead of giving her view of why the negative comment is unwarranted, they attack the negative poster.

Lots of blame to go around.

Honored Contributor

I sometimes worry that the world is becoming too focused on everyone agreeing with certain ideas, not allowing for individuality, differences in thoughts and tolerance for other opinions, religions and ways of thinking.  I worry about that.  We should be able to agree to disagree and be friends and live in harmony for the most part.

HOWEVER, yes, there are the sour, bitter, negative Nellies that hang around here living to stir up  trouble and put down people with their meanness.  Yes, that's a huge problem.  They can't stand to see people not dance to their tune!  

Honored Contributor

Thought I'd throw this out just because:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/joy-and-pain/201401/what-is-the-difference-between-envy-and-...

Excerpt:

Envy is a reaction to lacking something.

Jealousy is a reaction to the threat of losing something (usually someone).

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

The negative comments don't bother me. That's how they reply, like clockwork.. IRL they must be a joy to be around.

@Regal Bee

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes it bothers me especially coming from complete strangers. I try to stay away from negative threads and thanks for asking. @Regal Bee

Honored Contributor

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd be right at a 5. What really bothers me are those who quote previous theads, ad nauseam, and hang on to the bitter end. They have to have the last word. I try to police myself by limiting myself to no more than three comments per thread. I really don't want to fight on a shopping board so I just back off when they get really nasty.

Honored Contributor

I don' t have an issue with anyone not liking something or having a differing opinion than I do but it is definitely in how it is expressed.  There are those that are constantly declaring that certain types of clothing make everyone look awful, trashy, etc and no one looks good in them rather than just stating the style is not for me and I don't find it a good look.  There are those who consistently correct diction, grammar, etc when they know darn well what someone is saying but just cannot let it go!  My sister is one like that.  She constantly criticizes others' clothng, hair, grammar, pronounciations, lifestyles, and just about everything!  Over the years I have tried ignoring her, changing the subject and finally speaking out about her habit of criticizing anything and everything to no avail so I no longer have contact with her and my life is so much better now.   She's a miserable person and the only joy she gets is trying to drag everyone down .

Esteemed Contributor

I think jealousy is one possible cause, but I also think some people use their online time to release all of the bile that gets backed up over the course of a day.  

People often have to bite their tongues when someone aggravates them offline, but not online.  So people come here (and other places) and take their irritation out on people they don't know.  It's easy, and there are little or no consequences for their actions.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

I consider myself a positive person....on the whole. I tend to look at the glass as half-full as opposed to half-empty.

I have noticed that some commenters are constantly negative. They seem to NEVER have anything positive to say. I must admit I have trouble with this as I see no point to it.

I mentioned this to my very wise friend and she reminded me that the world is filled with negative people and much of it is jealousy-related. Do you agree?

I agree @Regal Bee  and it’s such a surprise there are so many people like that.  Posts about anything from a celeb to a holiday and there are seriously angry response comments. 

There are so many angry people. 

Honored Contributor

I go to a weekly support group, so am prepared for the negative comments that are going to be expressed.  That's to be expected,but what annoys me is when the person talking gets some feedback/tips from the group and immediately dismisses the feedback and says something like "that won't work". 

We see that happen on this board, too. I've stopped responding to some posters here because I know it's just not worth the effort.