Valued Contributor

Re: Confession: I dyed my gray roots...I caved in already

@Dusty1 wrote:

"an old gray haired woman in the mirror"

"no intention of looking 20 years older!! That's what gray hair does, makes you look washed out and old. Not me. I will keep my hair stylish and colored/highlighted for the rest of my life."

" I can't tell you how embarrassing it was to not recognize many of these people because they were completely gray!!!! "

I am so sorry that you ladies are so horrifed at the thought of looking your age.

You are your age & probably most people know it when they see you.

You may think you look 20 years younger, but I doubt that is true. That doesn't mean that you don't look attractive, but most likely not 20 years younger than you are.

No one was all that impressed with me when I had $120 every 6 weeks hair. 

No one is that impressed with me now that I have $30 every 6 weeks hair.

I still see most of the people that I went to school with & I have watched them change & age. If I hadn't seen them for 25 years I wouldn't recognize them, most of them, anyway. Old wrinkled people with brown, red or grey hair!

@Dusty1, I don't dye my hair to look younger. I dye my hair so I don't look like death warmed over. I'm not worried about what age people think I am. I probably don't worry enough about what others think of me. It's what I think of myself when I look in the mirror. Some people wear gray hair beautifully and trust me, I envy them!  I will never be one of them. I'm in my 50's and a grandma 4 times over, the oldest is a teenager, so I know I'm not 18 anymore! I'm not out to fool anybody. I'm just trying to make myself feel better about myself. I'm sure that's true for a lot of us.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 , growing up, I had an aunt who always looked PERFECT; perfect makeup, clothes, and always her perfect platinum blond hair - never ever a root to be seen. She set her hair every single night, even into her nineties.

When she fell and broke her hip, she applied lipstick before the paramedics came. Heart

But when she'd finally gotten 'old', she decided to stop dying her hair & lo & behold, it was a silky soft, gorgeous platinum white, exactly how she'd always dyed it.

We'd say that the dye had seeped in, permanently coloring her hair.

Muddling through...
Valued Contributor

@sabatini, that's a great story!

Respected Contributor

I'm 7 months out now with my grey hair.  i had been DIY coloring with level 7 demi-perm color for years and years - and bayalage with 30v.  for the base i only used 10v developer so there was no hard transition as it grew out from colored to grey.  it doesn't look obvious grow-out and i've been cutting the old color off the ends.

i'm so on the fence now -  i want pretty, bright blonde highlights for Spring and my hair is so much thicker with color in it but bleach is so damaging.   My skin tone is warm...too yellow to look great with grey hair.  And color fades...and the cycle is repeated. 

On the other hand -  i don't miss the piles of conditioner i needed each tome i 'pooed  due to coloring and bleaching. My hair is soft again. Shiny.   And hopefully a bit less frizz now in the summer - it was so porous from dyes.

i do have a pretty grey streak "money piece"  but i had bangs cut recently so it doesn't show up as much :-(

Trusted Contributor

@ID2  What a nasty post.   I'm 77... wish I knew how to post a picture.. I'm gray and have been for many years.   No way do I look 97.  How condescending...   If those of you that color your hair think you are fooling anyone well then.. good luck...

Respected Contributor

@Qgirl26 That is the one thing I really don't miss. Seeing those roots 2 weeks after I paid to get my hair colored. It seemed like I was always getting my hair colored, anxious to get it colored, enjoying how nice & shiny it looked right after I got it colored & then starting over.

I liked to color my hair very deep red brown. Loved it. It looked so nice with my fair skin & green eyes.

Went in one day to get it colored & said "I am done.".

I wasn't sure what I would get. At first my sister said I looked like a calico cat.

It looks fine. Every now & then I consider coloring it, again, but I haven't yet.

I want all of us to do what we like. Not because someone else says we have "given up" or that we are so scary looking with our old lady grey hair!

Esteemed Contributor

I did the next best thing to shaving my head when I went gray. I had my stylist cut it very short ( DH called me "Butch" during the transistion); one more cut a month later and I was grey! Its been this color and past my shoulders for fourteen years with no end in sight.