Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Me thinks OP puts this gripe out here annually.

Thanks, I remembered this thread from last year. Does this happen to the OP on a yearly basis?

Respected Contributor

I'm giving it one more class (since the instructor is now aware of my feelings about it) and if it doesn't improve will contact the Community Center manager.

The only reason I posted this is because I think it may be relevant to the OP's situation.  She said in earlier posts that the instructor asked her not to attend the class further.  To my mind, that indicates that it may not have been a beginning class - or even if it was - the OP needed so much individual attention that even that class was too advanced.

The fact that at least a year later, she is still having problems really argues her need for private individualized lessons. 

And there should be no shame in that.  Not everyone is capable of immediately picking up at the same rate as others in the class.  However, if the class basically becomes a private lesson for one pair, that is NOT what the others paid for.

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Keep pleasing yourself with this activity,and do not let anyone else spoil your fun!   

The whole point of your dance activity is to keep you and your husband active mentally and physically.  As long as you two are happy with what you are doing, a strangers assessment and expressed opinion should not be allowed to impact your fun.  

I would agree with you except that it seems this couple has repeatedly held others back.  It hasn't been just strangers commenting - It's been friends too.  As well as an instructor.

Absolutely if they enjoy dancing they should continue to do it.  But they need to be in a class for beginners or in a situation where their lack of progress doesn't impact other people.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Comments that hurt

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I am currently in a situation like those complaining.

I signed up for an advanced bridge class - specified it was NOT FOR BEGINNGERS.

I had to miss the first lesson as we were out of town.

Second lesson - we spent one half hour of an hour class instructing new brigde players how to count points.

I did not spend a couple of hundred dollers to discover than an Ace is worth 4 points.

I spoke to the instructor - who assured me that things will get better.  However, he stated there is no refund.

I am not happy.  I wonder if this isn't a similar situation.

Based on her past posts, it does seem to be a similar situation.

And I feel your pain!  I'm currently taking an advanced class, and a lot of time is taken up by two people who should be in a class for beginners.   It's frustrating to have the instructor go over the same material repeatedly when we should be moving forward.  Two people holding everyone else back is really unfair.  We're working on a solution.  I hope things get better for you in your class.

Respected Contributor

Some people are not happy unless they can make others unhappy. They sound like they belong in this category. Basically, they have one heck of a nerve. I would be tempted to tell them that rude comments are out of bounds. Stay away from them if possible. So sorry you both had this experience. Don't let then ruin your time.

Honored Contributor

Re: Comments that hurt

[ Edited ]

I think instructors should do something, but they may not  be empowered to kick people out.  They may also not have support from whoever is paying them to kick people out.  It's all "customer service" and try to make the best of it for everyone, but people suffer.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN