Honored Contributor

Re: Columbus Day is not a holiday

Florida, Hawaii, Alaska, Vermont, South Dakota, New Mexico,and Maine do bot recognize it as Columbus Day and have each replaced it with celebrations of Indigenous People's Day (in Hawaii, Discoverers' Day, in South Dakota, Native American Day).

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Super Contributor

Columbus Day has never been a holiday in my entire 35 years working full-time.  My current employer (past 18 years) doesn't even give us President's Day! 

Respected Contributor

Where state workers have Columbus Day off

Depending on where you live and whom you work for, Columbus Day may be a paid day off, another holiday entirely, or no different from any regular Monday.

Columbus Day, the second Monday in October, is one of the most inconsistently celebrated U.S. holidays.

Learn more.. Pew Research Center

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree @MorningLover @IslanderGirl62 @Cakers3 @ValuSkr 

My dad used to be so proud to tell me that Columbus Day (October 12th) was his birthday!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Like so many other "holidays", retailers have turned it into an opportunity for special pricing, sales, available coupons, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@IslanderGirl62 wrote:

Columbus Day has never been a holiday in my entire 35 years working full-time.  My current employer (past 18 years) doesn't even give us President's Day! 

I think President's Day was the first holiday we lost about 10 years ago.  After that they fell like dominoes.  Now we only get New Year's Day,  MLK Day,  Memorial Day,  July 4th, Labor Day and Thanksgiving.  

Super Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@IslanderGirl62 wrote:

I think President's Day was the first holiday we lost about 10 years ago.  After that they fell like dominoes.  Now we only get New Year's Day,  MLK Day,  Memorial Day,  July 4th, Labor Day and Thanksgiving.  

I thought my company was lacking on the paid holidays, but wow, just 6 for you!  We get 8 total - the ones you mentioned above, plus Christmas Day and the day after Thanksgiving.