Honored Contributor

Columbus Day is not a holiday

Not for my employer anyway.  When I first started, we had 12 paid holidays.  Over the years they whittled them down.  I suppose I didn't pay attention to the company calendar for this year.  I mentioned to a co-worker that I was looking forward to the 3 day weekend and she broke the news to me that Columbus Day is not company holiday now.  So, what was once 12 is now 5.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Columbus Day is not a holiday

I remember when our company did away with the Easter holiday and Columbus Day. To my knowledge they still have 14 sick days, but if you don't use them in a year you lose them, same with vacation days. The last place my son worked there was no sick time, you had to use your vacation time if you wanted to get paid, but they did have 12 paid holidays.

Honored Contributor

Only time I had Columbus Day as a holiday was when I worked for a company that had a union, I was not a union member but we got all of the great benefits

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I think it is now called "indigenous people's day".  I think few get the day off as a real holiday...but it is a big sale day for retailers....any excuse to make a buck!

Honored Contributor

We know who we have to thank for that.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954I'm not part of your "we"   I have no idea who.  Maybe that's a benefit of the 20 years now I that I've been retired?

Respected Contributor

Columbus Day is a federal holiday, and it's name has not changed.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

Well from what I hear, some states no longer call it Columbus Day.

They can call it whatever they want, I could care less.  Now if they start messing with Christmas.......

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

They can call it whatever they want, I could care less.  Now if they start messing with Christmas.......

Really? What do they call it? I haven't heard about this

Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

keep trying until you could NOT care less ....