Honored Contributor

Re: Columbus Day is not a holiday

@lovesrecess 

You are wrong about that.  I think a couple of states made that move but Columbus Day is still a Federal holiday and a State holiday for most states.  It's a State holiday for us but employers are not required to observe all State holidays.  

Esteemed Contributor

DH will have the day as a "holiday". He's got it good!  He works very hard, though.

I never did, in retail.  In a banking subsidiary, I did not.  I think the branches had the day off, not the secondary staff.  To work that day was either good or bad if the market was going off the cliff.  More hours to bite nails over "positions", or more time to file papers and double-check logs.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

We gave up Columbus day to be off on the Friday after Thanksgiving.  Wonderful!

Esteemed Contributor

The only official holidays I had at the university where I worked were Christmas and New Year's Day. With objections from employees, the powers-that-be Finally agreed to giving us Labor Day and Martin Luther King Day off. Anything else counted as a vacation day.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

The only official holidays I had at the university where I worked were Christmas and New Year's Day. With objections from employees, the powers-that-be Finally agreed to giving us Labor Day and Martin Luther King Day off. Anything else counted as a vacation day.

@Vivian   You didn't have Thanksgiving at a University? That's quite unusual.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I work for the State of Texas and its no longer a holiday for us. County is getting it off though. 

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

Columbus Day IS a holiday for the federal workforce and the military. No mail delivery on Monday.

My firm (private) however, is open.

Most government entities celebrate Columbus Day.  I worked for a state agency and we commemorated it, although the office was open.  We worked a Skelton crew and those who worked got compensatory time off.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

WOOPS, I forgot Thanksgiving. I did have that holiday off.

Trusted Contributor

New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  That's what I offer at my business as paid holidays. 

Honored Contributor

I think most private sector businesses don't take the day off.  However, surprise, most public sector businesses - government offices, schools, etc. - do.

I like the idea of calling it Indigenous Peoples Day.  It will give school teachers something to talk about - that is, if they were in school.  And can stores still have Columbus Day sales on Indigenous Peoples Day?  Smiley Happy