Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: College application fees?

Most schools waive application fees for low income studients.  Also, many of the application fees now are more than $100.  

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

obnoxious taking a place from a kid who might actually go

and if they are paying $100 not so smart

from what I remember the "common ap" doesn't take a fee

What???????   They aren't taking a spot from anyone because they aren't enrolling in all 100 scholls...LOL   They apply and are offered an admission package that includes $xxx amount of scholarships and financial aid.  They review their offers and accept the school they want to go too and decline the other 99 schools.  The school moves on to the next applicant or to an applicant who was put on the waiting list.

Esteemed Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

Last night, on the NIGHTLY NEWS, they featured a segment about a (smart) young lady from  New Orleans who applied and was accepted at over 100 colleges and counting.  My question is - Don't you have to send in an application fee, around $100 or so, to every school you apply to?   Wouldn't it be much ''smarter'' to just decide which college is your choice and save all that extra $ applying to other schools?  Help me understand this new way of doing things.  Thanks in advance.

@sarahpanda- You have your SAT and ACT test scores sent to different schools.  The schools can recruit based the scores.  Students also apply, application fees can be waved.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sarahpanda wrote:

Last night, on the NIGHTLY NEWS, they featured a segment about a (smart) young lady from  New Orleans who applied and was accepted at over 100 colleges and counting.  My question is - Don't you have to send in an application fee, around $100 or so, to every school you apply to?   Wouldn't it be much ''smarter'' to just decide which college is your choice and save all that extra $ applying to other schools?  Help me understand this new way of doing things.  Thanks in advance.

@sarahpandaAntoinette Love spent a lot of time and research using Common App and Common Black App.  She researched schools that did not have application fees or waived them under certain conditions.

I applaud her for all her footwork to find the best school for her at a reasonable cost.

Many students may not be aware of Common App/Common Black App so her recommendation to use the program  will help other students.

I believe she did settle on a college in New Orleans.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

obnoxious taking a place from a kid who might actually go

and if they are paying $100 not so smart

from what I remember the "common ap" doesn't take a fee

What???????   They aren't taking a spot from anyone because they aren't enrolling in all 100 scholls...LOL   They apply and are offered an admission package that includes $xxx amount of scholarships and financial aid.  They review their offers and accept the school they want to go too and decline the other 99 schools.  The school moves on to the next applicant or to an applicant who was put on the waiting list.

@chrystaltree 

Right!

I was just going to say, that just because one applies to a certain college, does not mean that they will actually get in to that school.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Frequent Contributor

@notenoughtime wrote:

Schools will waive application fees for many reasons.Schools will waive application fees for low income families.  She is also first generation which has a lot of benefits for applications.  

This is true.

Honored Contributor

The fees are not waived that easily. Some students just apply to as many schools as they can so they can see how many will accept them...bragging rights....the fees have been raised and added to try and limit the apps of students who aren’t serious about attending....it is a lot of extra work for schools to process and deal with apps from students who are just applying for fun...$100 app fees discourage that