Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday was the anniversary of my father’s death. He died 22 years ago. My best friend’s mother died on the same day. We were trying to reach each other, not knowing that we lost parents on the same day. Now, of course, we acknowledge the date together.

I started thinking about all the coincidences in my life. There are quite a few.  My two grandchildren, brother and sister, were born on the same day three years apart, just by chance. My oldest daughter had her own daughter on her birthday. My youngest daughter married a man with the same last name. Even our first two dogs had the same birthday, ten years apart. The odds of all these coincidences is staggering, but they are true.

Are there any coincidences in your life?

Trusted Contributor

My aunt died on the same day as her 80th birthday.  3 years later, my cat died in that same day. 

My mother died Christmas Eve. My good friend’s mother died New Years Eve.  We commiserate during the holidays. 

Life is full of coincidences that have no correlation. Stuff happens and sometimes it’s just random even if it seems so connected,  or seems to have extra meaning. 

Honored Contributor

Too numerous to count.  It's true of everyone.  We have all have such coincidences in our lives.  I'll just tell one.  My dad and his father and his father's father all passed away on the same date; different years of course.  

Honored Contributor

Different years of course in April:

Mom died on the 16th and buried on the 20th

Husband died on the 20th and buried on the 23rd

DH brother died on the 23rd

Daughter born on 22nd

My brother born on 23rd.

April is a happy month as well as a sad month.

Valued Contributor

This topic is very interesting. 

I personally don't believe in coincidences and do believe in synchronicity.

The laws of the Universe, however they affect our lives, are truly extraordinary.

Thanks for sharing your stories.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Honored Contributor

My grandmother had her second daughter on her birthday.  Years later that daughter's daughter married a guy with the same birthday.  A friend had her baby on her birthday and the delivering doctor had the same birthday.  My other grandparents passed away on same date one year apart. 

Honored Contributor

I prefer to look at life as to find the good in what happened.  It's often very, very difficult.  My daughter had a baby son who lived for 7 days.  Try as I do, I haven't been able to find the good in that.  Although, GOD did send her another son (even after they said she'd never have another baby).

My husband just stood up and died.  The good?  Well, I went out and forgot something so I went back inside the house.  That's when I heard what sounded like a box being dropped.  I called to him but he didn't answer.  Again, I'd have normally thought, "He's on the phone".  But something told me to go downstairs and see what the noise was.  He was lying on the floor...out!  I finally flipped him over, gave him CPR, called 911.  The good (everything I mentioned).  I was there, I know he didn't call out to me.  He wasn't in pain.  But mostly I got to put my air into his body (saw his chest go up and out) and got to kiss his lips while they were still warm.

My brother's girlfriend was over 20 years younger than him.  He'd nursed his wife of 50 years and when she died of cancer, he was lonely.  He met another widow.  They fell in love.  She was driving him down the highway.  The car started drifting toward the middle lane.  He told her she needed to steer the car toward the middle of the lane.  She didn't move.  He grabbed the wheel and pulled it off the road.  He pulled her out, did CPR but she was gone already.  The good?  The last words she said was "When we get home I'm making you strawberry shortcake".  He got to give her a last kiss just like I did.

See what I mean?  We can't control everything.  However, we can control what we take from things that happen in our lives.  

If you asked my brother he'd tell you he was lucky that he'd had two great women whom he loved in his life (he's 78 now).

I think EVERYTHING happens for a reason.  We have to figure out what we need to learn from it and what we're going to do with that knowledge.

That's my take on life.

Honored Contributor

Both of my grandmothers had the same first and middle names.   

Honored Contributor

My husbands parents were born on the same day 8n the same year.They used to call themselves twins.

Super Contributor

I am a person, also, who does not believe in coincidences. I believe these things happen to us to show us God is there. It is like He is saying hello to us. I have had so many of these happen to me, I could write a book.

I have heard the expression, “There are no coincidences in life, there are just times when God chooses to remain anonymous.”