Honored Contributor

I started the process today - washing and putting away the heavy winter things and pulling out some early spring items....ugh.  I usually look forward to the process but am finding I have more than I need...which has been discussed a lot....how to weed out?

I have been in a less is more space for quite a while, clothing is the difficult area for me.  I wish there was an easy process.

I do try everything on, and so far everything fits.

Honored Contributor

Re: Clearing out extra clothes

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I started the process today - washing and putting away the heavy winter things and pulling out some early spring items....ugh.  I usually look forward to the process but am finding I have more than I need...which has been discussed a lot....how to weed out?

I have been in a less is more space for quite a while, clothing is the difficult area for me.  I wish there was an easy process.

I do try everything on, and so far everything fits.

I started the process a few weeks ago , and it is a pain. But worth it. I have been ruthless, but the amount of clothing I had was ridiculous. I donated a bunch and tossed out the rest. I have no regrets.😻

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's taking me time (been 5 years since I retired), but I'm gradually getting rid of (donating) the clothes I know I will never wear anymore.  Its hard since I spent a lot of money on them but maybe it will help someone else.  That is what motivated me.  Silly to have something sit in my closet when it could be worn by someone who needs it.

Honored Contributor

I will look over everything with again with an evil eye!!  Why can't I be like my husband...he has just what he needs and nothing more?!!  Getting him to purchase new is like pulling teeth, same with shoes!

Respected Contributor

I do it by first asking myself if I love the garment. Then does it fit. How often have I worn it. Does it fit my lifestyle now. I found since I retired that I don't wear a lot of things I did before and never will. I donated twenty seven leaf and lawn bags full of clothes. Now I only buy things that I really love and know I will wear. When I get new items for example tee shirts at the start of Summer then I pull out the ones from last season and donate them. It keeps my clothes fresh and updated without filling up space in the closet with older things that I won't wear.

Honored Contributor

Haven’t worn in 2 or more years toss

Basic T-shirts for hanging around the house you only really need two weeks worth everything else can go same for those kind of pants to just have fun hanging around the house this goes for all seasons. 

I recently tried on all my jeans and found that even though my size hasn’t changed I just didn’t like the way they fit so I got rid of all the ones I didn’t like   

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs I’m sure this is a “duh” response, but donate clothing you no longer wear to charity. There will always be those in need who would benefit from your donation.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Kitlynn .....I am now only working 3 days a week and most likely will be selling our business within the next year or two at the most, which then we will be completely retired.    I have been really good about not buying much new in the clothing line.  Like you,  I also ask myself the questions...like, fit, etc.

Twenty seven bags of clothes...you really cleared out!

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife ..my dressy things go to a consignment store, everything else goes to our local church run thrift store.

Honored Contributor

@Kitlynn wrote:

I do it by first asking myself if I love the garment. Then does it fit. How often have I worn it. Does it fit my lifestyle now. I found since I retired that I don't wear a lot of things I did before and never will. I donated twenty seven leaf and lawn bags full of clothes. Now I only buy things that I really love and know I will wear. When I get new items for example tee shirts at the start of Summer then I pull out the ones from last season and donate them. It keeps my clothes fresh and updated without filling up space in the closet with older things that I won't wear.

I do the same, except I reverse those two.  First, it has to fit right.  That in itself often takes care of whether or not I like it and wear it often enough to keep it.