Trusted Contributor

Cleaning of Headstones

[ Edited ]

The other post "Cemeteries" included some people asking how to clean headstones.  My cousin and I undertook the cleaning of many family markers that had never been cleaned with anything but rain.  Some of the stones were so full of lichen (liken), which can look like this     Image result for close up picture of lichen on gravestones or it can be other colors like thisImage result for close up picture of lichen on gravestones  or look like algae, although it's not algae.  It is very difficult to remove.  It is a living organism and will come right back if not removed with an effective cleaner.

My cousin is very active in the local geneology society and they had a speaker present about cleaning headstones.  First of all, never use a pressure washer, a harsh chemical, or a stiff brush, or you may ruin the stone.  A brass brush may be used on the indented lines of letters if needed.  The brass is much softer than some other brushes.  (Personally, we found that a pot scraper from Pamper Chef worked well for the letters.)  The speaker suggested using a shower puff to initially clean the stone.  We liked the pan scraper.

We used four different cleaning solutions, all approved for use on headstones.  We documented which spray we used on which stone and then after a period of three months, six months, and a year, observed which cleaner did the best job.  The sprays were Spray and Forget, Wet and Forget, Klean Logik Headstone Cleaner, and D2 Biological Cleaner.  We used a pan scraper from Pampered Chef to "open" the lichen, mold, mildew, and tree sap before we sprayed.  We heavily sprayed each stone with the selected spray and let mother nature do the work.  Just make sure you do it during a time period in which you won't have rain for at least 24 hours after spraying.  After one year, we determined that D2 Biological Solution did the best job.  Some of the stones were so bad we couldn't read the names easily, but the D2 really cleaned them up.  I wish I had before and after pictures, but my cousin has those. 

It takes time for Mother Nature to work with the D2, but it is biodegradable, safe around plants and wildlife, has no bleach, no salts, and no acids.

Hope this helps those of you who asked.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss  We have tree sap on marble headstones (some have smooth edges, others have rough hewn edges) and it has also become embedded in the lettering and numbers. We also have a curved concrete bench which has bird droppings on it.

We have tried scrubbing the bench with a stiff wire brush and Dawn soapy water. Didn't work! So pleased you posted this information. I'll find the D2 Biological Cleaner and go to Omaha before Memorial Day so everything is spotless for my dad and my grandparents graves! Thanks for a great post.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you so much!  The family tombstone is in great shape, but the markers in the ground have so blackened.  Particularly my Dad’s.  DH has tried scrubbing with various things, but I sincerely appreciate your tried and true suggestions,

Trusted Contributor

Very useful, thoughtful information, @wismiss. Thank you; I'm taking notes. 

Respected Contributor

When we last visited some graves of DH's relatives, they had some of the lichens/mold on them. He said he will clean them next time. Thanks for the ideas on what to use.

Respected Contributor
Such a helpful thread! 🙂