Honored Contributor

I went to pick up an Amazon package - and decided to take a walk around our park for a bit of exercise. 

Our park has lots of squirrels and pigeons that are very "comfortable" around humans.  And any time you walk through the park carrying a white package or bag - you end up with a bunch of the critters following you around.

Well .... before leaving the park - I sat on a bench and decided to open the white Amazon bag.  I had ordered some cotton squares to"patchwork" some jeans.  They were a "random selection' order - and I was anxious to see what I got. 

No sooner did I sit down and pick up the white Amazon bag ...I was surrounded by squirrels and pigeons.  So cute  - looking up at me - hoping for a "treat."   I sad "sorry guys - nothing to eat today."  And, the squirrels scampered away .... and the pigeons did one of those "pigeon trots."

And I walked home!

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

No worries. Unlike some other species, animals are very forgiving. Great story, and I see the same when I go to the ice rink with the squirrels. One of the ladies that brings her son to the rink, always has peanuts or popcorn to feed them.

hckynut  🐿  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn     Ain't Nature GRAND!!!     (We have some really "serious" critters lurking around Phoenix you might not want to feed, tho.)      di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

We have elk, deer & an occassional bear in our park.

Honored Contributor

I don't think of squirrels and pigeons as wildlife.  They are everywhere so I would not be surprised to see them.  I worked near a big public park in urban Boston and there were all types of lovely birds, raccoons, small rabbits.  My friend said she saw a fox once but I never did.  Half our office would walk over to sit on a bench to get a some sun and decompress.  No one would ever feed the wildlife and if we ate our lunch on a bench,, we took the scraps back to the office so we wouldn't encourage begging and dependence on people food.  I think there were signs posted.