Trusted Contributor

Christmas Present Suggestion

I asked my son and his wife what was on their wishlist for Christmas and they both said nothing, save your money.  Well, my kids and grandkids are coming over for Christmas dinner and gift exchange and I really want to give my son and his wife a present. They have always been very good to me and I love my son dearly. He is a pilot and she is a lawyer, they own a home that values over a million dollars and had provided me with a cleaning lady for the last two years.  I realize they buy whatever they want and I am retired, but I want to give them a gift that expresses my love for them.  Any ideas? They seldom drink alcohol, so wines, etc are out. They also are health conscious, so goodies are out. What do you give someone special that has everything!!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Christmas Present Suggestion

A Hug from Mom?   A photo album of childhood years with as many relatives in the frame as you can find?  If you do find photos write the NAMES and relationship of everyone in the photo.  You are the Mother of Memory for your family.  Give them the gift of their history.

Happy Gathering!

Honored Contributor

My gift would be to honor their request. Believe me, they lack for nothing and want nothing. If I felt strongly about giving a gift, perhaps a cookbook devoted to their eating preferences.

Esteemed Contributor

Buying a gift is not an expression of love. Find other ways to express your feelings.
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

For inspiration, go to Blurb..com and consider making a book for them.  Search the bookstore category.  There are thousands of books posted that others have made.  This is a website that provides free templates for you to create a photo book.  There are other websites that offer the same, but I have made 20 books from this site and find the template easy to learn and use.  You could make a book of your family history with old photos and stories, a book of photos from their childhood to graduation.  If you kept childhood cards, art scribbles, or cute letters they could be  scanned too.  A small book of family recipes is a good idea especially if they like to cook.  The Blurb website is full of books others have made.  I have made books for others and they are always a big hit.

Honored Contributor

@Calcgirl wrote:

I asked my son and his wife what was on their wishlist for Christmas and they both said nothing, save your money.  Well, my kids and grandkids are coming over for Christmas dinner and gift exchange and I really want to give my son and his wife a present. They have always been very good to me and I love my son dearly. He is a pilot and she is a lawyer, they own a home that values over a million dollars and had provided me with a cleaning lady for the last two years.  I realize they buy whatever they want and I am retired, but I want to give them a gift that expresses my love for them.  Any ideas? They seldom drink alcohol, so wines, etc are out. They also are health conscious, so goodies are out. What do you give someone special that has everything!!!!

listen to them they don't want stuff

make a wonderful dinner for your family 

Contributor

You don't just give a gift to someone because they need something. I give a gift because I want to bless someone. I too cook for my family as an expression of love to them. Do they have a certain style or do they collect anything. you could add too? A beautiful beaded pillow for their couch? Anything from Waterford crystal is pretty. My daughter gave me a waterford angel ornament last year and I love it. Some beautiful luminara candles.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

My gift would be to honor their request. Believe me, they lack for nothing and want nothing. If I felt strongly about giving a gift, perhaps a cookbook devoted to their eating preferences.

Agreeing with @AuntG.  Yes, I would honor their request.  If you really want to give them something, maybe give them something money can't buy, such as a card saying how much you love them, or a old family photo or heirloom.

Respected Contributor

@Calcgirl 

My suggestions may not work for you or your family.  I no longer do gifts for my kids either.  We all have everything we want or need as far as material things go.

Since we all live within about an hour of each other, I help them with their family.  All three of my daughters and sons in law work.  I pick up my older grands from school each day.  They attend a private school and have no bus service.  I also fill in on the days when their regular child care or school has or needs days off. I also help get the older grands to their games and practices during soccer season.  My girls have a deep appreciation for this, much more than for any gift I could give them.  

Maybe an IOU for keeping your grands when they have a need for it?  Kind of a giving of yourself or your help to them.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

@Calcgirl   Some really nice suggestions on here.  I can understand you wanting to give a gift though.  I usually give my adult kids a gift card for Amazon, this way they can just buy something they need for themselves.  You can always use new towels, comforter, pillows, kitchen items..... that kind of stuff.    Also I make up a nice set of Beekman soaps and lotions, a new Lock n Lock piece for them to take some leftovers home , all practical items that everyone can use.