Honored Contributor

Children's toys of the 1950's

I remember (we're inside because of rain here) paperdolls and viewmasters. I'm going to look up more on both of those this morning. Should be fun. Low key.Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: Children's toys of the 1950's

We used  to make our own paper dolls from catalogs.  Anybody remember the Betsy McCall cutouts in the McCall magazine?    

Honored Contributor

Wow I absolutely LOVED Betsy McCall, I loved all paper dolls, my favorite thing to play with when I was home sick.

@Pook wrote:

We used  to make our own paper dolls from catalogs.  Anybody remember the Betsy McCall cutouts in the McCall magazine?    

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I was born in 1955 so I had a few years of 1950's toys lets see what I can remember,  I am not sure these was 50s. or 60s.

Chatty, Cathy, Lincoln Logs, Mr Potato Head using a real potato, HO Lionel Race Car Sets

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

Hi QualityGal,

I still have my viewmaster.  (I'm 65). It's brown plastic (maybe it's bakelite???). Can't find the box, but I'm sure it's around somewhere. 

Thanks for memories!

I loved paperdolls!

Remember kaleidoscopes?

Hoola Hoops

Jump rope (When we didn't have 2 "enders", we tied the rope around a street lamp post.)

Roller skates with the clamps! And skate keys!!!  We drew chalk "roller rinks" in the street. We were always on the lookout for cars.  Car, Car, C-A-R.

Climbing trees

stick ball

slinky

coloring books

Lots of simple toys and activities that we really enjoyed!

Esteemed Contributor

Does playing Monopoly & colors & color books count?  Old Maid too.  I am walking with a child hood friend soon,  maybe we can think of some more.  

Valued Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I was born in 1955 so I had a few years of 1950's toys lets see what I can remember,  I am not sure these was 50s. or 60s.

Chatty, Cathy, Lincoln Logs, Mr Potato Head using a real potato, HO Lionel Race Car Sets

LOL When I told my DD and SIL that our "original" Mr. Potato head needed a real potato, they laughed. It was tooooo weird for them. (We also used apples.)

Honored Contributor

We didn't have a lot of  expensive toys in the 50's. I had about  two dolls. However, we did have paper dolls and coloring books a lot. My grandma taught me to sew by using old babuskas and fabric scraps to make doll clothes. When I wanted a bike my older brother got a new bike and I got his old beat up one which my Dad had taken apart, fixed and painted.

Trusted Contributor

This would come to no surprise to anyone who knows me, but I still have my Chatty Cathy. And my Barbie doll ,all her clothes and case.

Contributor

I remember the real potato for Mr Potato Head.

Tiny Tears babydoll, loved her.