Honored Contributor

Re: Childhood Food You Still Eat & Love

@hckynut wrote:

Forgot 1 of my favorites, peanut butter. Not Skippy or Jif for me anymore. The only kind I eat now is fresh ground peanuts, no salt, no preservatives, no jar on a shelf, just plain ole peanuts.

hckynut 🏒

@hckynut 

Ditto!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I actually can only think of one thing I ate as a child that I no longer like as an adult.  I am a fan of the Kraft Mac & Cheese from the box, but I have changed over to the White Cheddar version.  But, the all-time favorite has to be Beanie Weenies.  As an adult, I get to pair them with Tator Tots or a grilled cheese.  I loved Tator Tots when they came out with them, but only the deep fried ones. They were awful cooked in the oven, so I only got to eat them at the bowling alley.  Thank God for the air fryer.  

I loved Beanie Weenies so much as a child.  Once when I was in elementary school, I got in trouble for something that to this day I don't think I should have been punished for since I had no idea.  It was the girl who lied to me who should've been punished, and I never spoke to her again after that.  I don't think my father thought I should be punished either, but my mother was so determined that she made me choose between getting a spanking or missing dinner.  Oh, and we're having Beanie Weenies.  I chose the spanking.  

Regular Contributor

Tacoritos!  My mom made them at least once a week.  For those of you who aren't familiar with them, they are basically ground beef with a cream of chicken/cheddar cheese soup + seasonings sauce, rolled up in flour tortillas, topped with additional sauce and cheese. I remember when one of my brothers brought his football team members over for dinner and they scarfed them down.  I whispered to my mom that the boys were all still hungry, so she brought out additional sauce and tortilla chips!

You can easily google the recipe - there are several. Great dish to serve to a crowd.   

Esteemed Contributor

My favorites from the 1950s were Hot Shoppes hot fudge sundaes and Floating Island (meringue islands over a runny custard sauce).

Respected Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia 

People think scrapple is disgusting but I grew up with Habbersett Scrapple and love it to this day; yes, with ketchup, eggs, toast!  Fried in a pan till crisp!  If you grew up in the Philadelphia area you know what i speak of!

Esteemed Contributor

@Catch71 :  I had completely forgotten about scrapple!  When my Dad made Sunday breakfast we always had scrapple ( from his parent's farm) and hominy ( the canned kind that looked like wet popcorn). I grew up in Silver Spring MD.

Respected Contributor

@Catch71 wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia 

People think scrapple is disgusting but I grew up with Habbersett Scrapple and love it to this day; yes, with ketchup, eggs, toast!  Fried in a pan till crisp!  If you grew up in the Philadelphia area you know what i speak of!

@Catch71 I LOVE Habbersett scrapple! We can't get it here and we don't go home that much anymore, so it's a real treat whenever we get it. I wonder if Amazon carries it? 🤔

Trusted Contributor

Egg bagel topped with Spaghettios.
Esteemed Contributor

Kraft mac and cheese. Unfortunately my husband doesn't share the love of it I do. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

First of all, this thread is makin' me extra hungry! Here are a few blasts from pasts, Hawaiian Punch, Tang and a few others already mentioned.

In Jr. High I used to get these  little Cadbury snacks...6 small chocolate covered shortbread biscuits. Can find something similar from time to time:

food cadbury shortbread snacks.jpg

As kids, we were excited, though maybe not as much as Mom, when TV dinners arrived, mid 50's. This was a good one...at one point they added cranberry sauce:

food frozen tv-dinner-box-tray-swanson-1960.jpg

Baked beans with cut up weenies, leftover ham or bacon plus brown sugar sure made a kid-happy meal...

foodBaked-Beans-Syrup-and-Baconwithbiscuits.jpg

A good dessert? Hot fudge sundae or blueberry pies are up there...Original Rice Krispie Treats, made with butter and plenty of marshmallows for extra gooeyness!

food the-best-ever-rice-krispie-treats-main3.jpg

To cover some other food groups, and help kids of all ages eat their greens? This is a key casserole from childhood:

food broccoli casserole.jpeg

(don't forget the BUTTER!)

Many of these things my grandmother made. She also was fond of beef stew, and her spin on corned beef, taking a can of Libby's, slicing in 1/2" pieces, painting with mustard then rolling in crushed corn flakes before frying...oh my! Smiley Tongue

And finally. We had a neighborhood fast food joint called Whopper's. Like a block and a half from our home. Nothing fancy, but a plain double cheeseburger with grilled onions made my day. And now? Nless I share the buns with our 4 pups, I'll setle for In--Out Burger's proteinsssssyle...keto-friendly and about 200 calories saved.

food burger Low-Carb-In-N-Out-4x4-Burger.jpg