Respected Contributor

Re: Childhood Food You Still Eat & Love

6B9B45D8-75B8-4BFE-8F9F-D47A8CBAFB99.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Omgosh---my most fave meal was the one my mom made every Thursday when I came home for lunch, during elementary school. she and her friend went to their bowling league in the a.m. and then the friend would stay for lunch and  I would come home. remember the canned ham in the tiny can with the white label--think it was red devil brand--she would mix it with mayo, put it white bread and then serve cottage cheese with peaches or pears, or pineapple on top. My family just squeals with disgust as NO ONE likes cottage cheese. I was about 10. Haven't eaten that since then but still like the cottage cheese and fruit------Woman Wink 

Honored Contributor

Peanut butter and jelly, macaroni and cheese, grilled cheese, canned ravoli and spagetti, chips and dip to name a few Woman Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

@Naturesbeauty wrote:

I've never seen this! 🤔 Interesting to me.

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

@Naturesbeauty wrote:

@KBEANS  I used to buy this. It's a New England thing.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  How is this served? With what? And is it still around? Is it just whole wheat type bread, or cakeish? I want to try this! 😆 

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  How is this served? With what? And is it still around? Is it just whole wheat type bread, or cakeish? I want to try this! 😆 

@KBEANS  It's kind of dense and I think it's wheat. Like a bread. I haven't had it in at least forty years. Served it with hot dogs and baked beans. I have family in Boston and that's where I got it from. I just took it out of the can and sliced it.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@KBEANS wrote:

@Naturesbeauty wrote:

@KBEANS  I used to buy this. It's a New England thing.

I grew up in California (small towns) and we had it out here, too.   I really like it.  They also have a variety with raisins but most probably wouldn't want that.  I like it, though.

The last time I ordered some was probably 5-10 years ago from one of those sites that sells food products from the past.  It was just as good as I remembered.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Avocado Toast
Sharp Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Huevos Rancheros
Fish Tacos

Respected Contributor

@Naturesbeauty I remeber the date , nut bread in a can. We served at luncheons with strawberries and a special sauce,  and cream cheese for the bread , when I worked for a catering service. So good. We could have all we wanted while we waited for the people to eat. So good. I made a little piggy of my self it was so good, That was many years ago. Haven't looked lately for the bread in a can But I will have my husband look, he does the shopping now a days.