Honored Contributor

Re: Childhood Food You Still Eat & Love

[ Edited ]

popcorn/grapenuts/oatmeal/cheerios/baked potato/cabbage/tomato/navel orange-clementines/pastas. Just a few.

Forgot 1 of my favorites, peanut butter. Not Skippy or Jif for me anymore. The only kind I eat now is fresh ground peanuts, no salt, no preservatives, no jar on a shelf, just plain ole peanuts.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

When there is nothing that looks appealing, I rely on my old favorite of buttered noodles. Oh, and can you still get Peanut Butter Parfaits at DQ? We only got twist cones as kids, but then I discovered those decadent desserts!

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

So sorry to read that year 13 forward was not good for you... Hope things have gotten better !

@jlkz   I worked though a lot of the "issues" over the years.  🙂

Honored Contributor

Oh yea, fruit juicy red Hawaiian Punch! I crave this occasionally too.

I liked Hi-C Orange as well. Mom also bought an orange drink from Kroger in a carton in the refrigerated section, nice mild orange flavor, not citrusy like Sunny D. It disappeared years ago, so am sure it contained some coloring or flavor that is no longer allowed.
Esteemed Contributor

Mac and Cheese.  

Esteemed Contributor

@wilma  American cheese! I used to take a cheese and pickle sandwich to school. I still like American cheese, and I know it isn't the best cheese for me, but oh well.

Esteemed Contributor

Lipton Chicken Noodle soup - the one in the packet with those tiny little noodles!

Egg noodles with a little butter and warm milk

Grilled peanut butter and cheese (my dad's specialty!)

Cream of wheat with a little milk and brown sugar

Popcorn popped on the stove with melted butter and salt

Respected Contributor

Scrambled eggs and crispy scrapple with ketchup. It's the breakfast of champions!

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

Thank Goodness !

At almost 76, I have written two fairly large documents.  One was when I was leaving a major corporation after 19 years of dealing with discrimination despite high profile, high risk jobs that I was assigned.  Passing high level assessment centers and coordinating the dismantling of a huge corporation as determined by the Dept. of Justice meant nothing.  So my career search began with writing from earliest memory what ever gave me a sense of satisfaction.  Typed: 40+ pages. None of my family ever saw the document.

As I turned 70, I came down with a serious case of bronchitis that lasted several weeks.  To keep productive I decided to submit a document that demonstrated how I lived the 3 virtues in my college's seal: faith, scientia and caritas.  I was inducted into the College Life Honor Society.  Again my family will never see it.  One exception: my cousin forced to assisted living by Parkinson's and severe curvature of the spine asked me about my corporate career.  Since she was confined to bed / wheelchair, I told her on the next visit that I would read it to her.

That was a year ago and she is now terminal in hospice.  I will never forget her comment to me as I finished the reading. To the effect: this family doesn't know what a gem they have in their midst.  I know what I have done, the battles fought and won, the souls I have touched in my many careers. I used and continue to use the gifts I have been given.  My friends are now my family.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@ECBG 

Your mention of red dye reminded me of how 10 years ago I overindulged in red licorice " shoestring " candy.  It was to the point that I began itching violently one night.  Next day I went to the doctor because I was drawing blood from all the scratching.  I was on prednisone for a while.

i think I have had 2 small bags of the red strings since then.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill