Honored Contributor

Re: Childhood Food You Still Eat & Love

This iaps a once a year treat, because it is full of salt, but I find Campbell's chicken noodle soup very comforting. I buy the 25% less salt version, but it is still way too much. I just love the broth.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

A.  Homemade Sicilian Pizza

B.  Pizza slices from a certain steak shop....before COVID, I would drive there once a week to get my fix !  I am way overdue !!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Kraft Mac and Cheese in the box !!

Honored Contributor

Honestly there is no food I ate as a child that I still eat today.  After all the eating disorder issues I went through....I no longer eat as I did as a child....which was eating what I loved without thinking of a food  as "good " or "bad" like I do today. 

but the first 12 years of my life were good....I am thankful  for those memories. After that my life was hell.  

Esteemed Contributor

Genoa salami with butter on black bread; baked potato stuffed with lots of butter  (my French grandmother used to drench them in butter - lots of melted butter down the middleWoman Very Happy.

I also used to love sarbean sandwiches, a/k/a sardine sandwiches and a certain kind of herring in a wine sauce - that really wasn't wine!  And, a medley of fresh vegetables from our garden along with a homemade blueberry pie my mother would make after we spent part of the afternoon picking wild blueberries in the woods.

Esteemed Contributor

There are more foods that I was given as a child that I will not touch now.  Still eat the ones I like.

There seems to have been a fad of processed food in the 50s, instant pudding, canned soup, bologna, canned pineapple, jello....just bad stuff.  

Respected Contributor

For some odd reason .. all of us ... mom included .. loved banana

on toast .....

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

So sorry to read that year 13 forward was not good for you... Hope things have gotten better !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Here's one for you.  As a child in the 60's, I drank Hawaiian Punch every morning as my juice at breakfast.  And, I'm 64 now and I still drink it!

And I still love grilled cheese sandwiches dipped in Ketchup. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Here's one for you.  As a child in the 60's, I drank Hawaiian Punch every morning as my juice at breakfast.  And, I'm 64 now and I still drink it!

And I still love grilled cheese sandwiches dipped in Ketchup. 

@gidgetgh I LOVED Hawaiian Punch as a child.  It gave me a terrific headache though.  Years later, I learned it was due to red dye #2 which I believe isn't in it any longer.

Now a lot of things have red dye #40.