Respected Contributor

Re: Childhood Food You Still Eat & Love

@Lake4 wrote:

A Lebanon bologna and mustard sandwich- whole wheat bread!

@Lake4  I love Lebanon bologna (but I buy sweet if I can find it).  I eat it with butter on the Pepperidge Farms dark pumpernickel bread.  

Respected Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia 

Believe it or not, I found it in Florida while visiting my folks years ago - frozen of course.

Also, my children who live in Maryland have it in their local grocery store. I am in Northwest NJ and only have it when I go to the jersey shore where you can easily find it.

My local store got it in once (I was so excited) but I guess it didn't sell and it disappeared.

Respected Contributor

Shredded wheat with orange juice on it instead of milk. Drove my Mom crazy.

Respected Contributor

Hershey Bars.   Both plain and with almonds.   Growing up we lived near Hershey, PA and my favorite thing to do was to tour the chocolate factory.   They always gave you a hershey bar at the end of the tour.  

Esteemed Contributor

Buttered popcorn......

My brother used to drink "Tang" all the time.......LOL

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

Hershey Bars.   Both plain and with almonds.   Growing up we lived near Hershey, PA and my favorite thing to do was to tour the chocolate factory.   They always gave you a hershey bar at the end of the tour.  

There used to be a Hershey factory in California, right near where I lived as a very young adult.   It was such a fun tour!   I remember driving past it on the way to work each day and you could smell the chocolate.  The street lamps out front had Hershey kisses on the top.  

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@J Town Girl wrote:

There used to be a Hershey factory in California, right near where I lived as a very young adult.   It was such a fun tour!   I remember driving past it on the way to work each day and you could smell the chocolate.  The street lamps out front had Hershey kisses on the top.  

I never knew there was a Hershey plant in California.   In Hershey, PA the street lamps were Hershey kisses too.  You could also smell the chocolate as soon as you drove into town.  

In later years they stopped giving the tours of the plant.  I'm not sure if they ever started them up again.  I moved to the West Coast in my late twenties and never went back to the town of Hershey again.

Respected Contributor

In elementary school we used to have an hour for lunch and would walk to my grandparents home some days.  In the winter my grandmother would sometimes make macaroni and would separately make a can of Campbells Tomato Soup.  She'd use 1/2 can of milk instead of water and we'd ladle the soup over the macaroni.  In the beginning of the pandemic rather than make trips to the store I'd have this for dinner and I'd bought pancake mix and have pancakes and sausage (breakfast for dinner) a lot.

Respected Contributor

@Financialgrl 

My mother also used milk instead of water to make canned tomato soup creamier.

Thanks for bringing back that memory!

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@J Town Girl wrote:

I never knew there was a Hershey plant in California.   In Hershey, PA the street lamps were Hershey kisses too.  You could also smell the chocolate as soon as you drove into town.  

In later years they stopped giving the tours of the plant.  I'm not sure if they ever started them up again.  I moved to the West Coast in my late twenties and never went back to the town of Hershey again.

It was between Oakdale and Modesto.   This was in the 70s.   I just looked it up, out of curiosity, and I guess it opened in 1965.  Looks like it closed somewhere in the 2010 decade.   Smiley Sad   That's unfortunate.

I'm glad I got to do the tour and drive by every day on my way to work in Modesto for that time.  Smiley Happy     One of my few good memories.