Honored Contributor

First of all, salaried professionals can't just take a day off whenever the want to.  They have responsibilities, the report to others.  They have the same time constraints and stresses as hourly workers.   My grandaughter is 2 and she has been in childcare since she my daughter went back to work when the baby was 4 months old.  The center makes the rules, not the parents.  Babies/children with obvious signs of illness (coughing, snorting, fever) are not allowed to stay....per the contract that the parents sign.  No parent can "whine" their way around that.  I've seen the contract, whick is actually a booklet, it's pretty thick.  They define what they call a "fever" because they have to be consistent. My daughter has been called to come and pick up her baby because the baby got sick after she arrived.  In fact, my 5 year old niece is in public school, kindergarten and they won't let sick kids stay.  I had my niece here for 3 days when she had a cold because she couldn't go to school with her cold symptoms.    The daycare center you are talking about is letting the parents push them around, perhaps because it's small and they don't want to lose a client.  But it's no different than anything else, rules exist for a reason.  If you don't enforce them, what's the point in having them? The "sick" rules are particularly important because, as you say, sick children spread the illnesses to other children and to the teachers. Who then spread those illnesses to their own families.    No one wants that!  Christmas gifts???  What is the big thing with Christmas gifts?  Sure, it's nice if parents give a gift to teacher but it's a choice.  No parent should feel it's a requirement and no teacher should feel that she SHOULD receive one from any parent.  People who CHOOSE to do that work know what they are getting into.  They know the pay is dismally low, they know that they will have to deal with "difficult" parents on ocassion and they know the challenges of childcare.  It's the work they chose.  

Respected Contributor

All little people are nothing but germ carriers. People should keep their children home when they have a fever and be considerate of the other children and care givers. I think it is difficult with some jobs to take off when your children are sick I am not denying that. However when you have small children you need to cover that situation with your employer that things do happen. We had to deal with that when our daughter was little and it was just part of life. If she was sick and especially with a fever she could not go to daycare or school it was something they enforced and we were told that upfront.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree

You brought up important factor, backup plans are needed.  It appears you have thoughtfully provided that backup and I am sure family is much appreciative.  Kids do get sick and life happens. 

Super Contributor

I do realize not everyone has a choice, but we decided I would be a stay-at-home-mom when we became parents.  It did mean we lived a more simple life, but we didn't have the cost of daycare, or the illnesses that came with them.  I don't think I could have dealt with that on any level.  As a parent, I was convinced that I was the one person that could and should be taking care of my sick child.  Well, okay, dad is included in that as well.  I can assure you that my sick littles wanted us, and wanted to be at home when they were sick. 

I was also very choosy when selecting a preschool for my kids.  It was not a daycare, just a preschool, with a three-hour program.  The moms were still at-home or working part-time, so kids were not sent to school sick.  Some of the parents and kids socialized outside of school.  It was a much different atmosphere.  We were a group of parents with different priorities.  Again, I understand that not everyone has the choices that I did, but I don't think we are talking about these parents. 

I can't imagine not considering the health and comfort of your child, and the spread of illness to the daycare workers and other children before deciding to dose your child and send them off for 11-12 hours so you can go to off work.  I realize I have a very strong opinion on this, and not everyone will agree, but I just don't understand why some people choose to have children when they don't want to do the parenting.     

Trusted Contributor

As a working mom of 4, I have had to deal with this situation.  It is very difficult.  Many employers do not allow their employees any flexibility at all.  If you don't live near family and are surrounded by other working friends, its hard to find anyone to watch your child.  I was luckly to have a relative nearby if my child was really sick.

I understand the rule for 100 degree fever and expect the day care provider to check temperature if a child appears to be sick.  On the other hand I have kids who just run warm so at 100 degree for them it may not be a fever.

Honored Contributor

When my daughter started in pre-school I think the two of us were sick from October to April.  She'd get something and give it to me.  We would get a week or two reprieve and it would start all over again...

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

It's their world and everyone else is just passing through!

hckynut

@hckynut

Wish I could give you 10 hearts for this comment! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Re: Childcare Conflicts

[ Edited ]

ENTITELEMENT!!!

We've seen it before yet it never stops amazing us!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

ENTITELEMENT!!!

Wev'e seen it before yet it never stops amazing us!

@ECBG

Guess that’s because it never stops being annoying!  Smiley Happy

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

In our state daycare is licensed, but you do not have to have a staff of people with degrees and certainly no nurse on board.. I know the woman who runs one of the day care centers in our town has no degree, she employs 1 woman with an Early Childhood degree.. The women who work at the daycare are mother's themselves or women who love kids and want to babysit. As far as the low pay for people with a degree in that field of work, well they have to know that going in. 15 dollars an hour is a living wage and would benefit everyone who works. Remember that when you choose your government leaders.