Trusted Contributor

Change of season food favorites

[ Edited ]

In our area autumn has set in quickly with a chill in the air, early turning of the leaves and a need for those cozy thick sweaters that help transition from the warmth of summer to the crisp fall air.  

It is funny how this suddenly makes different foods the things I crave.  Gone is the craving for raspberries for breakfast, peaches and cream as a bedtime snack and sliced watermelon on a hot day.  Now I am craving chili with warm cornbread frosted with honey butter; sloppy joes oozing off a warmed bun; all the various autumn squash smothered in melted butter topped with a sprinkle of salt; hot apple crisp; warm apple pie a la mode; crisp sliced apples with sliced havarti cheese for a bedtime snack and a whole bunch of other tasty treats that I associate with the onset of fall/winter.  

What do you look forward to when the climate changes bring different foods to your table?
Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

Re: Change of season food favorites

It's hardly sweater weather in our neck of the woods but I could go for apple cinnamon dishes any day of the year.  It won't really feel like fall for a few more weeks.  When the balloons fly in Albuquerque the first of October, we'll know it's here.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

Your thoughts are so well written.  I agree with you on everything.

It seems the cool (or cold), crisp air makes you crave hot, heartier foods and beverages.  I have to admit that for me there is nothing much better than hot apple crisp.

Esteemed Contributor

Still warm here but I love all the soups and stews. Anything pumpkin also. Yum yum yum. 

Respected Contributor

Even though it’s going to be 98° today, I’m making chili.

Respected Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

In our area autumn has set in quickly with a chill in the air, early turning of the leaves and a need for those cozy thick sweaters that help transition from the warmth of summer to the crisp fall air.  

It is funny how this suddenly makes different foods the things I crave.  Gone is the craving for raspberries for breakfast, peaches and cream as a bedtime snack and sliced watermelon on a hot day.  Now I am craving chili with warm cornbread frosted with honey butter; sloppy joes oozing off a warmed bun; all the various autumn squash smothered in melted butter topped with a sprinkle of salt; hot apple crisp; warm apple pie a la mode; crisp sliced apples with sliced havarti cheese for a bedtime snack and a whole bunch of other tasty treats that I associate with the onset of fall/winter.  

What do you look forward to when the climate changes bring different foods to your table?

Chicken and dumplings!  I bake more in the fall and I like to simmer roasts all day in the crock pot.  We're still in the mid 90's today and right now I feel Fall will never get here.

Honored Contributor

When the weather cools down, I make a lot of soup, chicken and dumplings, roasts and I Bake more too.  I cook food that warms the house and the body.

it is 93 degrees here today, so I will have to wait a little longer, but I did make a roast and mashed potatoes and gravy with the AC on last Sunday.  My DH is begging for apple pie, but I am not in the mood yet.

I am cooking on the grill outside tonight.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is still so dang hot here with no relief in sight, it is hard to think about autumn foods....but I did succumb to the pumpkin streusel muffins at Costco that they sell this time of year. They are so big I slice them in half and either share with DH or save one half for the next day. I also just found the Thomas pumpkin spice English muffins and they aren’t on the shelves very long so was happy to get those. These are the only two pumpkin-spice type foods I buy. I love making soups and chili so am looking forward to that, and to baking again. It is too hot and my kitchen too small to do much baking in this heat. The oven heats up the entire kitchen, breakfast room, and den. Even my big cast iron le creuset pot radiates heat into the room so I do wait until it is cooler to bring it out.
I am looking forward to oatmeal with some brown sugar and Jonathan apples on top...they have a short season but are my favorite apple....green chili soup, vegetable soup with lots of cabbage in it, and of course, chili con carne. Love them all and love cooking them once but having enough for several days, I make cornbread with all of them, ladle the soups over big square of corn bread...dh’s favorite way to eat them.
The evenings are getting down to the 70’s now...just a hint that autumn is on its way, but it is taking its time. I am so looking forward to some hot chocolate with the mini marshmallows!

Honored Contributor

It's still September here, mid September.  It was 85 today but average temperatures at this time of the year are mid 70's.  But, in a month when Fall does kick in, I know I'll have a taste for spicy, cinnamony things.  Applie pies, pumpkin muffins, french toast for breakfast.  Also soups, chowders and cornbread.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's 90 degrees in SW Michigan today, so my mind is hardly on fall. I'm bummed that my favorite cafe no longer has gazpacho on the menu and has switched their soup to pumpkin bisque (I absolutely HATE pumpkin). When I stopped by to try and buy a quart of gazpacho today, they sadly told me the menu had changed. I asked how the new soup was selling and they said "not at all - it's too hot". 

Maybe I'll start thinking fall/winter type foods when temps are consistently in the 50's, but that's not happening here anytime soon!

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~