Super Contributor

Chances of getting the Flu at my Dr.'s appointment

I have a Dr.'s appointment on Tuesday and I'm afraid of getting the Flu there.  This visit is mainly a 3 month visit for type 2 diabetes (A1C test).

I had a flu shot,but I'm a little bit worried about this.  Is it possible that they'd rather not have patients there who are just basically having a checkup & don't want this spreading even more than it already is?

Should I call & ask or just call & reschedule in a month or so?

Maybe I am over thinking this.

Regular Contributor

Re: Chances of getting the Flu at my Dr.'s appointment

They will most likely have face masks there for patients. I feel the same way. I am avoiding crowds and have wipes with me now. Glad I watched the Monk TV series- he always used wipes!!! Lol. 

Honored Contributor

If the visit is not critical to your health issues I would cancel and wait.IF YOU MUST  go then don't touch anything,bring wipes and wear a mask.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a routine appt. this past Wednesday and rescheduled it for late March for the same reason.

I had a flu shot too, but the CDC is saying that it's only 20%-30% effective against at least one of the 2 strains that is so widespread.

As a matter of fact, when I called to reschedule, my Dr's office said they were suggesting this for patients with 'routine' appts., even if they had the flu shot.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

@Serena Sue I'd call and ask. My doctor used to refuse to update a prescription unless you came in during the beginning of the year. I usually told him I would come in, but after the flu season was over. It's not medically safe to go in right now. You will sit there with all those sick people for quite some time before you are shown to the exam room where someone else has been with who knows what. I realise that your test is important, but it's just not safe to go. Here they are limiting who can go into the hospitals to visit because they are full of flu patients. The shot isn't helping very many people. I think I read that it helps only 10% this year. That's not good odds.

Esteemed Contributor

my worst nightmare this past monday....had to go to ER....primary doctor insisted...they handed out a mask as soon as you checked in....waiting room was packed with people wearing masks....looked like an episode from The Twilight Zone!

Super Contributor

I would reschedule if possible.  My appoinment is due this month for the same thing and I am not going for a couple more months.  Give it time to die down. 

Honored Contributor

I had a routine doctors appointment week before last and thought about exposure to flu.  While waiting, I selected a seat off by itself, used hand sanitizer several times.  They had a mask dispenser but I've heard they're ineffective because they don't fit the face tightly.  Hit the sanitizer as soon as I got back to my car.  No flu symptoms here.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

According to the CDC it needs to be a N95 mask, not the kind given out at Dr. offices.

The N95 mask is available at hardware/home improvement stores, I paid $8 for 2 at Ace Hardware.

It's described as a 'Paint Sanding Respirator' (mine's by 3M) and has 'N95' printed on the front of it.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Serena Sue  -  I had to go this past week for routine bloodwork and have not had the flu and don't want it.  Upon checking in, I was handed a mask, there were so many people in the office that were sick.  I carry my hand sanitizer and touched NOTHING.  When I left, I applied hand sanitizer until I could get home and wash my hands.  I'm not paranoid, but this flu is nothing to mess with.  So far, I feel fine.  Stay well!