Honored Contributor

Re: Chances of getting the Flu at my Dr.'s appointment

Reschedule and stay home. Why risk getting the flu?

Honored Contributor

wrote:

If the visit is not critical to your health issues I would cancel and wait.IF YOU MUST  go then don't touch anything,bring wipes and wear a mask.

AND use your own pen!

Contributor

I am scheduled to have my thyroid levels checked in a couple of weeks. I am going to reschedule and go in April.  I HAD to go to the ER a couple of weeks ago due to dehydration from a gastrointestional bug.  It was severe and my doctor sent me there for IV fluids.  I had no other choice, but to go. I spent a LONG 6 hours there, mostly in the waiting room full of sick people.  Not fun.  

Valued Contributor

People of all age groups and otherwise healthy people are dying from this flu. It's taking too big of a risk to go anywhere. I won't even eat out this time of year. Years ago I had an angiogram done at a hospital in April. I thought it was safe by then. I never saw another patient, only doctor's and nurses. 10 days later I was more sick then I had been in the last 30 years. Unless it's something I can't get advise for over the phone, I won't go out.

Super Contributor

I'm the OP getting back to you. I called the clinic talked to a nurse and she encouraged me to keep the appointment, just get a face mask at the check-in desk.  

I told her I would go.

I thought about it and 2 hours later, I called back and cancelled!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Serena Sue

I have an appointment with my surgeon Thursday. I have no concern about getting the flu during that visit. My wife will be at the hospital getting an Iron Infusion(4-6 hours) on Wednesday, and I will be right there with her. Friday I have an appointment with my Hematologist to check my blood count(hemoglobin and iron ferritin levels).

My plan is to not to miss any of these things in the next 3 days, and with a little good luck, my surgeon with give me the ok to go ice skating on Friday.  

Possibly getting the flu only enters my mind when I read about it here and the other forums. I have a lot of confidence in my body's resistance ability, and I did get the flu shots.

If you are that concerned, you should call your doctor and see what they say about it. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I'm hibernating.  The flu cases have doubled from last year in my area.

Respected Contributor

@Serena SueCan't you just get your blood drawn at the lab, and have the doctor read it and call with the resultsThat's what my doctor does, your in and out no appointment needed. That way you are around sick people. 

Super Contributor

wrote:

@Serena SueCan't you just get your blood drawn at the lab, and have the doctor read it and call with the resultsThat's what my doctor does, your in and out no appointment needed. That way you are around sick people. 

Yes, good idea.  I could do that.