Honored Contributor

My father's side of the family has a family plot.  I remember going with my father and grandmother to visit the graves.  The cemetery is well maintained.  Other than my father's burial ten years ago, I haven't been.  

Respected Contributor

I have helped my DH tend and annually plant flowers on his parents & grand parents graves for the past 25 years.  We have shared this responsibility with his surviving siblings.  I just don't know how much longer we will be able to do so due to physical issues.

My parents were cremated and not interred so there is no aftercare.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@x Hedge ....the cemetery is maintained by our local taxes and is mowed and cared for....this sibling thinks we should wash the stones and bring scissors to trim the grass better than the cemetery does.

I rarely visit but have never seen it look unkept.

I'm sure she's welcome to bring her own bucket of suds and a pair of scissors, but what ever makes her think you live to fulfill her expectations?

SMH at some siblings.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge , she does just that, bucket of water and brush but more than irked that we don't do it as well.....and she said 'people' have told her how bad it looks which is an out and out lie...the cemetery is maintained...and our small community would never let the cemetery go uncared for....she just likes telling us what to do....parents have been gone over 20+ years....and she is just now bringing it up....

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Yes, I clean around my Mom and Dad and my stster's stone.  Every Memorial Day we scrub the mold off the stone, pull weeds and put flowers at the site.  It has been a tradition so to speak with my parents and myself for many years.  We did my Dad and Mom's parents grave sites every Memorial Day with my parents and I promised my Dad I will continue to do this after he has gone to Heaven, and I know he is watching.  Sure do miss him. 

Honored Contributor

There are many small cemeteries in the South that don't have full time groundskeepers.  It's traditional for families to turn out during certain times of the year to clean up around the graves of deceased family members.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I put a live planter out each year for Memorial day and maintain/water all summer as does my sister.  I would love to wash the marble headstones but don't know what to use?  Is there something that should be done to maintain the marble?

Honored Contributor
No. I do not visit.
Trusted Contributor

@In-x-s  We use Simple Green with a scrub brush.

Valued Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@In-x-s  We use Simple Green with a scrub brush.

@hayseed00Thank you!  I will do that as soon as it warms up some.  No need to use any kind of wax or sealer on it?