Respected Contributor

Re: Cell Phone Etiquette: Am I in the "Dark Ages"?

@RinaRina wrote:

@PenneyT wrote:

@RinaRina, Chit chatting when you 'meet' someone, even in passing, is usually considered polite, especially someone in the neighborhood. 

It just seems odd to me that you would call the man a bore, but keep engaging in the same behavior? 

Your two statements are contradicting each other.

I WAS just being polite.

This morning, I TRIED to walk the other way, but my dog wouldn't move.  Next time, I'll PICK HIM UP and walk the other way.

I am furious that this jerk thought he had to pretend like he was on the phone to avoid me. 

What a jerk!

If he's a jerk, don't worry about it.  Why should you care?  Just say hi, chat a bit if you must, and move on.  He's not worth the aggravation.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

RR, just smile and say, hello and keep walking.

That's what I TRIED to do (go the other way) but my dog wouldn't budge. 

ok if you can't talk it out with him and convince him your way is right, I'd either pick him up (I can pick my dog up) or find another path or time.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure I understand why someone would be offended at "Happy Valentine's Day", nor do I see that as being out of line.  Since you seem to really dislike this man, I'd do something to change my routine.  Change the time, change the route, whatever.  You clearly don't like this guy at all.

Super Contributor

But YOU want to avoid HIM. Seems he just found a way first. Why sweat this? You don't want to talk to him, he found a way to end an interaction you say you detest, problem solved. 

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@PenneyT wrote:

@RinaRina, Chit chatting when you 'meet' someone, even in passing, is usually considered polite, especially someone in the neighborhood. 

It just seems odd to me that you would call the man a bore, but keep engaging in the same behavior? 

Your two statements are contradicting each other.

I WAS just being polite.

This morning, I TRIED to walk the other way, but my dog wouldn't move.  Next time, I'll PICK HIM UP and walk the other way.

I am furious that this jerk thought he had to pretend like he was on the phone to avoid me. 

What a jerk!

Perhaps that's the problem.  He never wanted those morning chats but was only being polite and OP never picked up on the social signals.  So, he felt that he had to do something to get out that routine.  Dogs are creatures of habit, so of course, if the dog makes a beeline for that man, OP needs to steer the dog away or carry him away.  OP enjoyed that morning interaction and she's hurt.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

I'd find another way to walk my dog so I would have to see this hair ball.

Maybe he thinks you are after him!Woman LOL

That aside, most anything involving cell phones these days strikes me as rude, but then, I'm a dinosaur.

I see woman using their cell phones in my spin class and I just have to close my eyes. 

that frosts my a88, my spin class is focus time, I actually turned around and shushed some young ladies (40's) this week, they talked all the way thru my all time fave song on my Monday!!!  No one talks during Sandstorm. 

Honored Contributor

It's rude.  If I didn't want to talk with him, I wouldn't slow down when I got near him.  I'd keep on going and say hi as I passed.

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

That is just plain RUDE. Another thing that really gets me is when I am in a store and go to pay and the checker answers the phone and proceeds to blah blah to a potential customer while making a REAL customer who want to pay wait and wait and wait. Hey there checkers.... the customer in front of you with $$$ is LOTS more important than someone on the phone.

Self check-outs are the way to go.  No more dealing with unhappy and inconsiderate cashiers.

Trusted Contributor

After having worked in a bustling office for 41 years, phones ringing and people talking incessantly,  I now enjoy the peace and quiet of being alone and not listening to endless chatter, as I called it back then! 

I am friendly to others, but do not wish to engage in a long conversation with them if I am outside working in the yard, or out on a walk.  In fact, it sort of irks me if someone tries to engage me in a conversation!  I know that sounds weird, but it is just me!

I do correspond with SHORT emails with family and friends, but my days of feeling that I need to be on a phone or talking to neighbors are over!!

I am sure this is the wrong way to look at it, but I did all my talking, chatting, listening, corresponding when I was younger and in the workplace, raising my kid, keeping a house, etc. Nowadays I had rather not chit chat anymore.  I know I sound like a sad old scrooge, so I apologize for that!!  And yes, I do sometimes expect the men in the white coats to come looking for me!!!  LOL

Honored Contributor

@123SuzyQ123 wrote:

I was enlightened by this new behavior a few months ago when I met my son and grandson for lunch at a nice restaurant.  They were both on their cell phones just about the whole time!  They were looking for movie schedules, texting, and checking emails almost the whole hour we were there!  My son even had a work problem that came up that he "solved" on his cell phone!!!

As I was about to say something to them about it, I glanced around the restaurant and saw that at least one person at EVERY table was also on their cell phone, looking at it, or talking on it!!   I figured this must be the new way of life for younger working people, so I decided to keep my opinions to myself.  It is certainly rude though, IMO !!

@123SuzyQ123

Sadly, this is not exclusive to "younger working people". Sure, probably more a thing for younger people. Next time take note and I think you will see many, not so young, doing the same thing.

I personally don't get this type of rudeness, and I do not sit silently by if someone I have planned to meet, does this to me. If it bothers them that I spoke up? They won't get a 2nd chance for a repeat.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)