Respected Contributor

Cape May NJ hotels. Ferry and Delaware ?????

My husband and I would like to visit Cape MAy any places would be of interest? Is it very expensive to stay there? Would it be worth the trip? I only live in Mass so  it isn't that far.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cape May NJ hotels. Ferry and Delaware ?????

Cape May is a haven of beautiful Victorian architecture and history. I don't go as often as I'd like but every time we go we find some new/(old) thing or place to explore and enjoy.
I think you're referring to the Lewes Ferry, a ride of about 4 hours. I LOVE it, but one of my sons gets seasick when he rides.
Hope you really enjoy it when you go!
Valued Contributor

It can be very expensive in the peak season.  I think September, right after labor day is a nice time to go.  Make sure you book reservations.  A bed in breakfast is a good choice and something nice to experience.  There is always something going on in Cape May.  The shops are quaint.  Plenty of very good restaurants. 

A ride on the ferry to Lewis DE is nice too.  They have shuttles that will take you to the outlets as well as Lewis.  There are many Whale watching tour boats in Cape. 

There is a ton of things to do and places to tour around the county.  If you like antiques and history, you will enjoy Cape May.  Plus it is romantic. 

You can check the prices online.  The Southern Mansion is pretty expensive.  It is on Washington Street and doesn't overlook the ocean.  There are many places to stay that do overlook the ocean. 

At sunset beach at the point of Cape May (you will need a car as it is a couple of miles away)  you can tour the Lighthouse, go on a nature walk, see the concrete ship.  At sunset there is a ceremony as the sun sets over the bay.

Honored Contributor

Cape May is very lovely, nearby Wildwood is more appropriate if you are bringing children. The Ferry ride is only 90 minutrs, you can put your car on it, and then drive all around to Tanger Outlets, all shopping in Del is tax free, Q outlet is there. You can ride to nearby Bethany Beach, Rehoboth Beach,  Dewey Beach,  Ocean City, MD too.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

We are headed there tomorrow for vacation. We have been going there the week before July 4 for seven years and we really love it because it is a nice laid back vacation spot. Since there is no boardwalk it is very different from other NJ and MD seaside destinations. The restaurants and outdoor mall at Washington street are very nice and the beach is well groomed and spacious, and the dolphins swim pretty close to the shore. I think those are the major draws. For outdoor enthusiats bird watching, kayaking and off-shore fishing are popular too. 

In the past we have gone on the Lewes Ferry to Rohoboth, Ocean City NJ and Wildwood to see what those towns had to offer. Although we enjoyed the water park, amusement park and shopping we were desperate to get back to Cape May for some peace and quiet. Our kids now range from 10-16 and they all love it too, they don't find it "boring".

It is expensive to go during the peak season and more crowded than when we go in June, so  I agree with other posters that June and early September are the best time to go. 

Honored Contributor

Oh how I miss Cape May!!!!  I used to go there every summer around the week of the 4th of July.  I've always gone with a friend or two and we always stayed at a B&B - The Abbey.  Loved it!  It was such fun!  However, ownership has changed since I was last there, so I have no idea what it's like now.  They didn't allow children, as I recall, back when I was there.

Always took the ferry from Lewes and love the ride.  I always viewed that as the real start of my vacation.  And such wonderful restaurants!!!!!  Top notch, in many cases!  

I'm jealous!  But enjoy!

Honored Contributor

We love Bethany Beach and have rented condos at Sea Colony 3 times, the ferry is 90 minutes and sure beats the drive around

@Shelbelle wrote:

Cape May is very lovely, nearby Wildwood is more appropriate if you are bringing children. The Ferry ride is only 90 minutrs, you can put your car on it, and then drive all around to Tanger Outlets, all shopping in Del is tax free, Q outlet is there. You can ride to nearby Bethany Beach, Rehoboth Beach,  Dewey Beach,  Ocean City, MD too.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Thank you so much everyone for the helpful information, much appreciated!! Can't wait to go!!

Super Contributor

Cuddles: my husband and I have been going to cape may for 25 years on a row...sometimes we go twice a year. You will love it! It is a family friendly atmosphere and lots of grown ups...not your typical Jersey shore environment with lots of teenagers and younger, rowdy crowds. The beach is beautiful. Once you arrive, you get the feel that you stepped back in time. The Victorian homes are beautiful....you can take tours of some of the homes or a trolley tour. Be sure to tour the Emlen Physick estate. Cape May point has the lighthouse, and sunset beach has a flag raising and lowering ceremony each day. You can rent bikes, play miniature golf, watch a movie on the beach on certain nights or stroll on washing street and visit the numerous quaint shops. The nearby cape may zoo is large and fun. Atlantic city is 45 minutes away, and, of course, there is the ferry to Delaware. Wildwood is ten minutes away if you want a large, busier boardwalk. Cape may does have a boardwalk with a few food stands, arcade, Morrow's nut house for treats...sometimes there are craft vendors during the boardwalk craft and art shows. Every week something is going on there. If you want to see a play, cape may stage is fabulous...only 100 seats in an old church, but top notch performances. Sometimes there are outdoor concerts and there is a new convention center on the boardwalk which has oldies concerts, etc. Or, you can just stroll up and down the streets and look at the beautiful homes and gorgeous flower gardens. It's nice at night with the old fashioned street lamps lit. I think that May, June, September and October are the best times to go. December is a great time also...the whole town is magical with its lights, Christmas tours and activities. My hubby and I love staying at the Bedford Inn on Stockton....the owner, Archie, is so nice and laid back, and the buffet style breakfasts are delicious. The house has a downstairs porch, as well as one on the second floor, and we love to sit in one of the rocking chairs and just chill. The Bedford is only a half block from the beach, so you get a nice breeze when sitting on the porch. If you have any other questions, let me know, and u can email me. Keep us posted on your upcoming trip...I am sure you will love it there! We are going sometime in September this year.
Respected Contributor

@Loveac wrote:
Cuddles: my husband and I have been going to cape may for 25 years on a row...sometimes we go twice a year. You will love it! It is a family friendly atmosphere and lots of grown ups...not your typical Jersey shore environment with lots of teenagers and younger, rowdy crowds. The beach is beautiful. Once you arrive, you get the feel that you stepped back in time. The Victorian homes are beautiful....you can take tours of some of the homes or a trolley tour. Be sure to tour the Emlen Physick estate. Cape May point has the lighthouse, and sunset beach has a flag raising and lowering ceremony each day. You can rent bikes, play miniature golf, watch a movie on the beach on certain nights or stroll on washing street and visit the numerous quaint shops. The nearby cape may zoo is large and fun. Atlantic city is 45 minutes away, and, of course, there is the ferry to Delaware. Wildwood is ten minutes away if you want a large, busier boardwalk. Cape may does have a boardwalk with a few food stands, arcade, Morrow's nut house for treats...sometimes there are craft vendors during the boardwalk craft and art shows. Every week something is going on there. If you want to see a play, cape may stage is fabulous...only 100 seats in an old church, but top notch performances. Sometimes there are outdoor concerts and there is a new convention center on the boardwalk which has oldies concerts, etc. Or, you can just stroll up and down the streets and look at the beautiful homes and gorgeous flower gardens. It's nice at night with the old fashioned street lamps lit. I think that May, June, September and October are the best times to go. December is a great time also...the whole town is magical with its lights, Christmas tours and activities. My hubby and I love staying at the Bedford Inn on Stockton....the owner, Archie, is so nice and laid back, and the buffet style breakfasts are delicious. The house has a downstairs porch, as well as one on the second floor, and we love to sit in one of the rocking chairs and just chill. The Bedford is only a half block from the beach, so you get a nice breeze when sitting on the porch. If you have any other questions, let me know, and u can email me. Keep us posted on your upcoming trip...I am sure you will love it there! We are going sometime in September this year.

Thank you so much for your much detailed infor. I really appreciated it. I was planning to go in  July but after reading the best months to go October would be great as I always take a vacation in Oct. Thanks for letting me know about Bedford Inn I will check it out. If I do have any other questions I will take up your offer and e-mail you. Thanks soo much!! Have a great summer.