Super Contributor

Re: Cape May NJ hotels. Ferry and Delaware ?????

Cuddles...I was glad to give u some info on cape may...it always helps to get suggestions from someone when u visit a place for the first time. October is a great month to go....just check to see when Victorian week is because it will be very crowded since it's very popular...lots of things going on. You may or may not want that. July is nice also if u like the beach, but August is more crowded. I suggested the b&b, The Bedford Inn, because to my husband and I, it really gives you a true feel of living back in time. If u ever need my email, let me know. Keep me posted, and I'd love to hear back from you after your trip! Enjoy your summer also!
Super Contributor

we love CM amd have been going there for about 30 yrs. In fact we bought a condo on Beach Dr. and it was wonderful. We moved to SYRACUSE ny and had to sell it because the trip was so long we couldn't get down as  often as we did when we lived in NY. Npw we rent a condo for a week and really enjoy it.

Super Contributor

I also remember when the hotels were very reasonable in price, now it's over the top.

Trusted Contributor

I've been going to CM for over 20 years.  Used to take my nephews the last week of June when they were younger.  They loved it.  I spoiled them silly when we were there.  We would always stay at LaMer on Beach Drive.  

Hotels during summer are pricey.  The best time is September, hotels are available, prices are down and no children!  Coming from someone who works in a schoolWoman Very Happy.  There are many new hotels/motels now.  And of course their B&Bs are beautiful.  

My favorite place to eat is McGlades by the convention center.  It is literally right on the beach.  Great breakfasts & dinners.  

Monday evenings during summer, the convention center has oldie concerts.  I'm actually driving down Sunday & coming back to Tuesday.  Going to see Gary Lewis & the Playboys perform Monday.  I usually stay at LaMer, but this time I'm staying at Cape Harbor Motor Inn.  It's about 4 blocks from the beach and 1/2 the price.

I have family in Lewes, DE, so I'm pretty familiar with the ferry.  For walk ons, it's $18 r/t.  There are shuttles to take you to the outlets.  Besides the Q outlet, Vera Bradley opened this spring.  I'll be visiting in mid-July so can't wait to hit the store.  And NO tax!!  Being a NYer, that is a treat.

I love CM - I go about 3x a year.

Enjoy!

Trusted Contributor

cuddles,

October is nice there, just a word of warning that Victorian week begins Columbus weekend and goes for approx. 10 days.  It gets pretty crowded, so book early.  There will be lots of activities - the B&Bs open up for tours and lots of fun Halloween events - "ghost" walks in the evening.  

Again, I would take my nephews that weekend.  I can almost recite the stories word for word! 

Respected Contributor

We also love Cape May.  We always go in the off season and used to stay at the Queen Victoria B&B.  We still like it but the last couple of times we stayed at the Congress Hall Hotel and loved the beach view and big wood fireplace in the bar.  So, we've decided if we go in the winter, we will stay at Congress Hall but if it's not fireplace weather, the Queen Victoria gets our money.  Enjoy your time there, whenever you go.

Trusted Contributor

I also think September is a great time for Cape May. I haven't stayed there in quite a few years and I think prices have steadily climbed but I once stayed at a B&B The Gingerbread House and I think that is still in operation with the same owners. It's a smaller place but decent location if you don't mind a little walking. I went in September and the nights were quiet and you could hear the waves crashing-love that. It's a lovely place and worth a trip. Have fun!