Honored Contributor

Re: Can you talk to your children

@halfpint1 

I wonder sometimes if Alzheimer’s plays tricks on one’s brain waves?

Not that you have it, but I was told by one of the Alzheimer’s .Org “helpers” that the reason some shouldn’t drive is that the image maps in our brains go away 

The “maps” we have are also involved in speaking with others (like our family members.)

I think you need a little help...to sort this out. Maybe the organization would come to you and discuss 

maybe even send the family members a note for you to help THEM understand that THEY don’t understand you and that it bothers you.

My dear grandmother was very bothered by excess noise that she heard. She said it was like white noise or buzzing...it kept her awake at night and it scared her.

I hope someone helps you.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I love my white noise machine.  I keep it on "fan".  When our large dog was living, I couldn't sleep because he and DH both snored.  It's a wonderful invention!Smiley Happy

I am just the opposite, may-be because I grew up in the country where the norm was silence.  I remember once late at night I was hearing a constant muted whirl noise.  It wasn't coming from inside the house.  At 2AM, I threw a coat over my PJs and got in my car and drove around the countryside for about 30 minutes.  I finally found the source.  Over the hill about 3 miles from our house the gas company was drilling a gas well.  Later that day I called our township supervisors and reported it.  They were to stop drilling at 11PM.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1   Everyone here has tried to help you many times with suggestions for what you should do.  They have given you excellent advice, yet you almost never acknowledge their advice and you have never followed it.  If you want help with your problems you must seek help from somewhere.  Your regular doctor has prescribed meds which I am not sure you are taking regularly.  You have to take it every day in order for it to help you.

You need more help than just the medicine.  Your son has done all he can on his own.  If you would let him read these responses he could help you contact the people who could help you.  I hope you will do this.  We all want the best for you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@halfpint1 

I don't have children so I can't answer your question.   All I know is that my parents were able to discuss things with both my brother and I.  We miss them, they passed much too young.

This I know...if there ever came a point in their lives where they needed one of us (and we were single) to move in with them or them live with us, we would do so.

Has this been something you and Bob ever discussed?  There could be benefits to the both of you.  

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1   At this point, I suspect the only way to change your situation is to talk to your son and tell him that you are ready to make other living arrangements.  

You need to be somewhere where you are safe, your medication is available and given to you, and you can be around others where you will have social interaction and will feel safer than where you are now.

You can't fix the noises unless you change your situation I highly suspect.  Too many people have weighed in on it.  You are at an impasse, and until YOU allow others to help you nothing will change.

I'm not saying it is easy, or that it's just what you want to do, but you can make a change here by taking some steps that others will recommend and help you with and give you a far better quality of life.  Isn't it time for that? 

Honored Contributor

Check with  a senior center or something of that type.  Many free services are available.  Some include (in some areas) free (like Life Alert) systems to use that you can press a button for help if you fall or need some type of help; also many cities have volunteers who phone people that live alone to be sure they are okay and to chat a bit.  This is done daily by volunteers.  Maybe someone other than your son could help you look into these services.  They are available.

Respected Contributor

I'm glad so many posters understood the OP and were able to make suggestions.  I didn't understand the problem at all. 

Honored Contributor

I was open to having kids and wanted two sons.  That's probably because I grew up in a matriarchy and was sick of all the estrogen Woman LOL  I never ended up having any kids and I think I would have been a cool Ma, if I may say so myself.  If I had sons, they would have been named Adam and Joshua. 

My Ma could talk to me about things she couldn't talk to either of my sisters about.  She and I were alike in many ways Heart  I'm sure there were things she discussed with my sisters that was more relatable to them.  

My Dad didn't confide anything to any of us now that I think about it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

You can all (including myself) give the op advice, but she is going to do what she is going to do.

So, I  feel being positive to her is a much better approach.

I still say it awesome she is like 81, and posts here.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@missy1 wrote:

I think it's cool the op is 80+ and still posting on forums.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but I see it as pretty much beside the point.  She's been struggling with various issues for awhile and really needs to get the appropriate help. 

Many, many posters have offered good, solid advice which she continually chooses to ignore.  Her welfare, health, and sense of well-being are far more important than being "cool", and I think when she reaches out that should be our focus.  Distracting her away from that by telling her that she's cool is counter-productive, IMO.  "Cool" implies that someone is fine as they are, and clearly the OP is not. 

She's not going to get the help she needs and things are not going to improve for her unless she admits that all is not well.  It does her no kindness to let her believe that she's fine as she is.