Honored Contributor

Re: Can you sense negativity?

@GingerPeach I understand.  Trying to explain to other's something like that that happened is very difficult.  That's why there's the phrase:  "You had to be there".

I've had encounters with people (and for whatever reason) it did not go well.  I have read your posts and as I remember you don't seem like a negative person.  

I know a few negative people, so I know what you mean.

Look!  This guy sounds like he hates pretty much everything (at least that day anyway).  You probably did both of you a favor by ending the session.

After my husband died I decided I wanted all of my locks reset so I only need one key (there are lots of doors in my house).  

I called what I thought was a very reputable lock company.  The guy comes out and after OVER 1 hour he hadn't finished one lock, I went to him and asked if there was a problem.  He was rude, condescending and ......well...it was terrible.

I'd never done that before but I told him to get out of my house immediately.  It turned out that he didn't know what he was doing.  He'd bought a franchise with this company and was still learning.  What a mess!  I ended up saying, "To heck with it".  So still my locks require different keys.

This is one reason I only hire people who've been recommended by friends and/or THEY themselves are friends.

Don't bother trying to explain what happened.  It's difficult to make people understand unless they've been there.  

Let the negative feelings go and just be glad you don't have to deal with him anymore.  That's what I do with people.  My late husband taught me that.  He'd say, "Just be glad you aren't related to them or have to work with them.  Don't let their negativity adhere to you.  Shake it off.

Take care and let us know how much you love your new carpeting.  Be safe, Annabelle/Linda

Esteemed Contributor

When someone acts like that, you know they aren't going to do a good job.

I don't blame you for asking for someone else.

It's possible the guy is just really having a hard time in life for some reason, but who wants to risk a poor installation by someone who doesn't seem willing to do the work?

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

(thread title

@GingerPeach

No, I do not sense negativity, in anyone or any situation. A person or company has to meet what my requirement is when judging what they say, and/or what they do, or do not do. Negativity is not one of my human senses!

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  Well, I thought it was just me.  I'm all about are they going to do a good job or not.  I figure we're not going to lunch or anything.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I totally understand what you mean. Whining would be a dealbreaker for me for sure...this guy doesn't sound like he even wanted to be there...so sending on his way was what I would have done. I expect a lot for my money...and no whining allowed!
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

Your post is so very thoughtful and from the heart.  Thank you.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

We had a plumber come to the house to give us an estimate on a job, when we asked him for references he went ape. He said he was insulted and that he had been in business for 25 years and no one had ever asked him for references and he didn't know if he wanted to do the job for us now. We left it at that and to say the least we didn't pursue it any further. I don't know how much negativity had to do with this guys personality, he just did not like to be questioned about his work. He was a smoker too and that would not have worked for us anyway.I can't say that I sense negativity, they must  say or act in a negative way.

Honored Contributor

Usually, yes....they give off a vibe, DH and I just experienced it with a window salesman...(I started a thread yesterday about our experience).

My DH who usually does not have a lot to say said that he got the vibe from him over the phone the day before his appointment, he was short and arrogant when DH returned his phone call.

DH never metioned it to me until after the appointment yesterday that did not go well.  I felt his vibe when he walked into the house....his mood must follow him everywhere he goes.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

I totally believe we have the ability to sense negativity.

I once saw a TV program about this and have WISHED so many times what it was and who was in it, but I can't.

At any rate, the discussion was about exactly this topic.  The discussion was that humans and animals are born with the ability to sense danger, or negative vibes.  However, we are trained to ignore our senses on the basis of manners, politeness, not causing trouble, making a scene, or of being perceived as being politically in- correct.  In other words, this totally natural instinct has been suppressed and we have been made to feel foolish about having it, much less responding to it.

One example stuck in my mind:

You work in a high rise building on one of the top floors.  Trying to catch up with things you stay late and finally arrive at the elevator to go down at 10:15 PM.  You are the only one still on the floor, and all the offices are dark.  The elevator door opens and a large,  man is already in it.  He is not carrying any tools (so he was not working on the elevator) and he has no name tag.  You have a that nagging bad feeling that something is off, although he does not speak or move towards you in any way.

What do you do?

Do you say, "Woops, I forgot something, sorry," and go quickly back to your office and lock the door?

OR

Do you give yourself a reminder of those things you've been taught and get on even though something feels 'off'?

Surprisingly most people ignore that nagging little voice and get on the elevator because of the reasons stated above.

I'm with you.  Negativity, that 'off' feeling, 'it just doesn't feel right' I feel them and I listen.  I think it's my Guardian Angel.

Besides, my home is my safe place and I never allow negativity to come in the door.

You didn't take the easy way - go along to get along - but instead, listened to that little voice.

Good for you!  Heart

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Thank you, @Drythe

I think I might have seen that program you referenced because I vaguely remember that elevator story, too.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

You didn't like the guy and I suspect it wasn't about any "negativity".  Whatever "negativity" there was came ALL from you.  Of course, you couldn't tell the company your real reason for wanting them to send someone else.  

@chrystaltree

Wow.

How in the world could you possibly know this?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras