Honored Contributor

Husbands should tell family  he has had enough of them giving his  wife terrible presents ,they are doing it on purpose, gifts should just stop ,and he should tell them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

When gift giving descends into the exchanging of gift cards it's time to end the exchange of gifts. When the gifts received are never something wanted, it's time to end exchanging gifts with that person.

Gift cards are given by businesses to customers, to coworkers, or to teenagers. They aren't thoughtful or personal.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1wrote:

Is it REALLY that imporant for you to receive a gift? Can you afford to buy a gift yourself?

I think you are being petty. In todays world we are too concerned about getting gifts. You are complaining about sending her nice gifts and she doesn't do the same. Then don't send her a gift. How about a nice card? If this is your MIL isn't it really up to your DH?

@Group 5 minus 1 . It's not about the gifts at all...instead it's about the message the gifter is sending...get it?

Honored Contributor

What sort of gifts does your MIL give your husband, her son?

Trusted Contributor

Well I can top all your gifts. I’m 76 years old and for Christmas a relative gave me a gift card to Victoria’s Secret.  I would call that a little thoughtless!!  I was upset about it and said thank you and gave it away. 

Respected Contributor

@Vickivwrote:

Well I can top all your gifts. I’m 76 years old and for Christmas a relative gave me a gift card to Victoria’s Secret.  I would call that a little thoughtless!!  I was upset about it and said thank you and gave it away. 

@Vickiv.....Cat Surprised  Maybe your relative thought you needed a little spice in your life??? It just blows me away at the things people do. Unreal.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

@catwhispererwrote:

@Vickivwrote:

@Vickiv.....Cat Surprised  Maybe your relative thought you needed a little spice in your life??? It just blows me away at the things people do. Unreal.

@Yes, I want to know @Vickiv:  why didn't you use it?

Just asking!

80816f4qwo2x0wu1.gif

Trusted Contributor

Re: Can i have some advice?

[ Edited ]

I never used the card because I’m to old. I could not find a thing.  Unless you want underwear that is like wearing dental floss or the bras they were so push up my boobs would fly out. Victoria’s  Secret is for the very young and not for very old. I just could not picture my wrinkly body in a low-cut night gown. I guess I could impress my two dogs but they might run away and never come back again with one look at me. LOL  Maybe I could tempt the mailman. The trouble is I never get mail again he probably drop over from heart attack!  Well one thing if I ever wear anything like that and a crook came around and tried to break in. He sure would find the door fast and retire.

Respected Contributor

@Vickiv....I absolutely love your sense of humor. Cat LOL

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrainwrote:

When gift giving descends into the exchanging of gift cards it's time to end the exchange of gifts. When the gifts received are never something wanted, it's time to end exchanging gifts with that person.

Gift cards are given by businesses to customers, to coworkers, or to teenagers. They aren't thoughtful or personal.

@occasionalrain

I think you and I are in the minority. I don't care to give or get gift cards much. 

There are exceptions. If someone asks for them, then so be it, they must really want them. And if someone is really in dire need and you want them to pick out the things they need most (I had a single mother friend that was in dire straits and a gift card from Walmart allowed her to get anything they needed including food and gasoline, or toys for her child, whatever she felt was most important).

For kids (although I think money is better, they can do whatever with it) it can be better than buying them things you have no idea are correct or wanted. 

And for very distant relationships. I have given them to teachers that went above and beyond for my son (usually for a nice meal out for them and their spouse) or to teachers for places that they could get things for their classrooms. 

But in general I agree. When we start swapping checks, cash and gift cards at holidays, the meaning of gifting has gone out of it completely, and I don't want to do it anymore.