Respected Contributor

Re: Can chickadees withstand below zero weather?

@goldensrbest wrote:

I feel so bad for the birds,so many do not feed them, i don't know how they make it.Just this morning trying to find best price on black sunflower seeds,40 lb,walmart will not ship.

goldensrbest:  I buy all my seeds at my supermarket but when they run out, I buy them from Amazon.  I get my deivery right away.  I always buy all kinds of seeds and just discovered one for Doves, which we have a lot of.  They are just gorgeous and all he cardinals, chicadees, blue birds, etc. also love these seeds.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

we get below zero here  in Seattle a few times every winter and the birds and squirrels somehow survive... I always feel for them though.... will buy some wild bird seed today for them to throw out on the snow.

Esteemed Contributor

I think they may be nesting now. 

Mine are still here eatting away but they do leave quite often for an hour or two......lol.so I have been guessing thats  whats going on...........

It worries me too!

Honored Contributor

I went to walmart,and picked up 2, 40 pound bags of black sunflowers seeds ,best price i coold find ,up here.A few suet cakes.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Also, put out a suet cake or two. I have a couple of the suet "cages" and the birds really that in the colder temps.

Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

Seeds aren't the only thing they eat.

"In winter Black-capped Chickadees eat about half seeds, berries, and other plant matter, and half animal food (insects, spiders, suet, and sometimes fat and bits of meat from frozen carcasses). In spring, summer, and fall, insects, spiders, and other animal food make up 80-90 percent of their diet. At feeders they take mostly sunflower seeds, peanuts, suet, peanut butter, and mealworms. They peck a hole in the shell, and then chip out and eat tiny bits of seed while expanding the hole."

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-capped_Chickadee/lifehistory

Esteemed Contributor

I don't worry about the wildlife in winter.

Wild animals have survived for thousands of years, so they obviously know how to take care of themselves even in harsh conditions.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I think the birds somehow know when bad weather is coming.  We usually have birds all over and now that we have predicted snow storm on the way there are no birds.

Respected Contributor

In Texas and it's getting really cold for us. I noticed a few birds hanging around so I put out some food on the patio pedestals. I feel for them in this weather. 

Esteemed Contributor

Provide a variety of seeds as others have mentioned. Sunflower seeds alone won't do it for many birds. Also, they love peanut butter and small peanut pieces, plus they're a good source of protein. You can even smear a big glob of peanut butter on the bark of a tree. Suet is a must because of the fat - helps keep them warm. If you provide a variety of food, the birds will survive.

Also - we feed dried mealy worms to our blue birds and they wait for me to feed them. Other birds love the mealy worms as well - robins, wrens, chickadees and nuthatches. Hubby buys 5 lb bags online, and I try to keep a good supply since the birds love them. They sound yucky, but since they're dried I can deal with them! LOL!