Honored Contributor

20210307_130340.jpgHere are our ducks.  The male duck chased away the other male duck that tried to make "brownie points" with the female, lol. 

Peyton Place At The Pond!

Honored Contributor

Re: Calling Kachina624 3/10/21

We used to live right in front of a pond. One thing we learned was that pond life as pretty as it may look is not always peaceful.

My daughter and I once almost had to jump in the pond to save our Mama duck." Six aggressive males were trying to dunk her.

Another day I called in late to work to save her and her nest from a neighbor's dog off leash.We have priorities!

She and her loving mate "Buddy" became good wild friends and had their babies right inder the bush right next to our house. She was so proud to show them off.

We got them a baby pool and we would all sit and enjoy each other's companySmiley Happy

We had a Canada geese family too that would come every day. When I drove home from work they would come and greet me. Then when they had babies who grew up to be "teenageers" we loved them too. One day they all came across the pond-the father and mother, the teenagers. I went to greet them and I felt they were coming to say goodbye as they traveled to where they needed to fly to.

It was a magical time. There are always wild wonderful friends out there. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

I love your story!  Many thanks!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes you see a really stressed male who managed to round up two females.  Makes me smile 😀. How much can one male take on?

Respected Contributor

@on the bay     Wow!  Heart Great story!  Thanks!! 

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining ,

They actually do mate for life so I think those hanger on males are trying for competition and maybe sometimes it is a lonely male who they befriend?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@ECBG    Ah, Mr. & Mrs. Mallard.  You'll have so much fun watching them nest then hatch and raise those cute fuzzy babies. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ECBG    Ah, Mr. & Mrs. Mallard.  You'll have so much fun watching them nest then hatch and raise those cute fuzzy babies. 

@Kachina624 

We can name them, although we won't be able to tell them apart.  

No way to tell if these were last year's ducklings!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Still Raining ,

They actually do mate for life so I think those hanger on males are trying for competition and maybe sometimes it is a lonely male who they befriend?

@on the bay 

Nope, 1 male and 2 females.  

Either they are still dating or he is an overachiever 😁

Esteemed Contributor

This posting is great - your expressed funny way with words......gave me a morning giggle.

THANK YOU ALL