Honored Contributor

Re: Calling Aunt On The Bay 12/28 22

Hi @ECBG!

I had a wonderful weekend of birthday celebration. So I'm still loving it all.  And my sister flew in and surprised me-I was so surprised!

Then unfortunately I bent the wrong way and isn't it always something?! Now it hurts to sit, stand or lie down.

I have a dr's appt tomorrow. Usually it heals but it doesn't seem to be this time.

I think I need a Shadow! But I would need someone to walk him!

I saw 3 of my little possums tonight.

One started being a little aggressive toward another and I told them "no fighting." lol! But they stopped so I guess they listened!

A few nights ago I saw the mother who I hadn't seen in awhile. She is all white now and she came out with one of the little ones and she put her nose on the little one's nose-I think that was a kiss!Heart She only took one bite of the blueberries I left and the little one gobbled up the rest. She looked for more so when they left I put out more. I don't think she smells as well now. She is so pretty and sweetSmiley Happy

I noticed tomorrow will be your son's heaven birthday. I know this must always be the hardest of months and day for you. My heart is with you!Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Dear @ECBG,

Thinking of you especially today.

No matter where we are, in heaven or here on earth, the love between a mother and son is eternal.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

That writing is so very beautiful!  I have never seen it before, many thanks for your heartfelt kindness.

Heart Images – Browse 6,507,759 Stock Photos, Vectors, and Video | Adobe  Stock

Honored Contributor

HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS!!!!!

abfec5d61ff5f81d8e81c4b924a9fd21.png

Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

I'm SO sorry you hurt yourself.

Do you have a sciatic nerve issue like I do?  I didn't have good back muscles after retiring from teaching and carried too much.  My mgr makes sure I don't carry anything.

About 5 years ago, the dr put me on Meloxicam, an anti-inflammatory.

I get amazing relief from these hot-cold gel belts, amazon. 

I keep 2 in the freezer.

Hot showers and heating pads increase inflammation.

TheraPAQ Ice Packs for Injuries Reusable Version - Adjustable 14 x 6 Inch Hot and Cold Gel Pack w/ Adjustable Strap for Sh...

Honored Contributor

@ECBG,

Thank you so much for the sweet birthday wishes! You are one of my favorite people and not just because you are Shadows mommy but because you are you!Heart

I know that nothing will replace and totally take away your sorrow because no one is you. My youngest daughter always says we share our joys and our sorrows, Though shared grief does not take it away, maybe it can give comfort. And shared joy is multiplied.

I'm glad your mgr doesn't let you carry heavy things.That can trigger so much back pain. I've had so many back injuries from sports-gymnastics, ice skating, and others and carrying things. I have had meloxicam-it does work so well but I'm also afraid of what it can do to the stomach.

I'm not good with so many medications that don't like me. But I will try a muscle relaxer that starts with a t forgot the name and has less side effects. Flexeral gave me a rashSmiley Sad  I had tramadol left over from my shoulder but that and 2 aleve didn't help! So I'll try anything once and if it works without making me feel worse, I'm so happy!

My daughter the former nurse has one of those ice wraps and she always reminds me to ice things. 

I do have a nice ice thing. I don't know why I keep forgetting that. I think I'm used to heating pads but didn't know they increase inflammation which I need like a hole in the head!! And he gave me some new gentle stretches to try. I'm not keen on going back to the pt because my last visit for my shoulder didn't go so well. I have sciatica too but I don't think that is usually my problem. Just a previous hairline fracture and lots of pounding injuries.

I did exercises for years but then stopped because everyone recommended so many different ones-confusing.

Well, enough of that! I'm encouraged and the doctor was very nice, sympathetic and understanding and listened so I appreciated that. I always tell them I am not a good patient because I don't like to take many things! 

Thank you again for all your well and birthday wishes! I loved them all!Heart

Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

Many thanks for all of your kindness.  You have quite a history of physical activity while I always held a book and usually had an upset teenager beside me.

I never liked sports.  I don't think I develop endorphins exercising. 

On another note, when I started Meloxicam, the dr also told me to get a generic acid reducer (Pepsid) and take 1/2 daily.  I haven't had a single issue.

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG,

Oh yes! My daughter told me that too about the pepcid. Great minds...Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

We hope you're doing well in this cold; of course we expect it in the mountains!  I think it's been cold for enough days in a row we have damaged the flea and tick population.

I went to the grocery store yesterday, it was 23 degrees with high winds, but not far enough to warn high profile vehicles.

I got a beautiful chuck roast which is now in the crock pot with carrots, potatoes cut in thin round slices, and sweet onions cut in 1/4's so they don't cook away.  I cover with 2 cans of tomato soup, a little garlic, and cook on low 7 hours.  this was our 2 son's favorite pot roast ever.  With the moisture it rewarms in the microwave beautifully.

Of course Shadow loves it.  I mash his little saucer of vegetables so he gets more flavor (and shhhh....hide his pill!).

If you had children, what were their favorites?

Last night Shadow was so "huggy".  He moved over just a little for me to sit down.  He just wanted to touch, so I got to hug a while!

20230131_212518.jpg

20230126_214136.jpg

My Love Nugget!Smiley Happy

We've been dealing with a kind of hobbling from Shadow's "shallow set" hips after he has been on the couch a while which shouldn't happen with a 4 year old!  We put him on a high powered glucosamine and have had a remarkable improvement!

I don't know how much I'll get to work going forward unless something changes in the tax structure.  I am being "hit hard" tax wise for working!  I'm too color oriented to stay home.  People should be allowed to work if they want to!

I hear Shadow "buffing"!  This has gone on since I mentioned our son's name when I was fixing that pot roast!  Shadow went to the front windows to look for him!

Honored Contributor

Oh my gosh @ECBG!

I know that

"I want a snuggle hug" look!Heart

I'm so glad the glucosamine are helping. My son said the same that they had helped when he gave them. I think our breeds and labs too I think have that hip pain going on unfortunately. but yes 4 is young. 

I always enjoyed working too. And it's a catch 22-make too much and it doesn't pay re taxes etc. Or lower to lower middle class but not considered poverty  don't get help. (my youngest and her family).

I used to cook a lot of things in the crockpot when my kids were at home. They liked everything from there, pot roast, turkey legs, but their favorites were my french toast and "burnt peas" lol. We still like to this day.

I used to make homemade bread, spanakopeta (took a long time and hard to make) and stuffed mushrooms. They also liked how I made chicken legs-baked very well in the oven til crispy. And I was very good at cookies if I do say so myself.

I got pretty good with my southern grandmother's fried chicken after watching her for years, corn pone,

greens cooked to death, my mil's potato salad, and my mother's corn fritters. Also I made great portabella mushrooms fried quickly with lots of pepper, worcester sauce.

I've been a vegetarian/vegan though for about 5 or 6 years. sometimes I will eat fish. I wanted to be one all my life and finally just thought-I'm eating my friends! I just couldn't anymore. I didn't think I could ever give up hamburgers and meatloaf but now Impossible Burger makes the best ones on the grill-you would never know. Even my son-il says they are the best hamburger he's eaten.None of us like Beyond Burger.

Also Just Eggs tastes better than scrambled eggs I think. 

Now I leave the cooking to my gourmet chef oldest daughter who loves cooking and entertaining.

She makes a lot of charceuteries (sp?) and tries to have vegan cheeses but sometimes it's hard to not eat the others but I do sometimes. She had all vegetarian food including vegetarian swedish meatballs, all kinds of things for my birthday.Heart

My son is also a very good cook too.

My kids all said they became good cooks out of necessity.😄

I thought it was cold here but reading about these below zero temperatures in the country is kind of unimaginable!

I know you and Shadow will keep each other warmSmiley Happy