Valued Contributor

Call me farmer green jeans....

[ Edited ]
  • ItI have over 100 egg cartons, in my dinning  room.Ready for planting..Yes my table for 16 is lined with little egg cartons and peat and dirt!I also brought in all my hibiscus  , mandrin orange trees and tropicals so its a jungle in there.I will be soaking,  sowing hundrds of heirloom seeds that will end up outside,Than into canning jars.. for the next few weeks ,I will hear green  acres is the place  to be .. in my head ...But oliver...This is country life in a big old colonial house on family  land for many ,many generations...I hope i honor the old ones with my choices, and live with their grattude.The next  few  weeks never fail to amaze me..It seems we  are planted where we will grow... Call  me farm girl, i dont mind....

Maryanne 

Respected Contributor

Re: Call me farmer green jeans....

I like the name "farm girl" - mind if I share it with you?  I don't do a lot of planting, but lots of mowing and weeding. 

Valued Contributor

@hoosieroriginal, gladly i have  8 acres ,  if we werent in  the hardscape buisness, i would be out there with you on a mower... Im also on snake patrol the guys  are wimps see a snake  call the bosses  wife ...Guys...!Maryanne 

Esteemed Contributor

OH FUN!!! What all do you plant, my friend?

We usually do a bigger garden, and by the end of season, I am fussing over all the work. This year, my husband is having to work longer hours at his job (bad timing), and we aren't going to plant a huge one. First year ever to have such small garden plans.

We have several fruit trees, I noticed baby plums on them a few days ago, then earlier today, out walking my dog, I saw some tiny peaches on a few of them. I'm excited about that. We do have to share the fruit with the wild animals that live here, but hopefully this year, there will be enough for all of us Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I plant lots of tomatoes ,pepers carrots  , potatoes and beets, brocolli, beans caulifleur, lettuce beets shallots, zucchini . I can several hundred  jars we eat it all winter. we have all raised beds.Use koi fish run off for fertilizer , my big ole fish keep the gardens going!Maryanne ,  also herbs like crazy lemons apples ,oranges ,pears!

Esteemed Contributor

That sounds amazing! And I bet it all tastes deliciousSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Keeper of the koi. I love to look at my jars of food all lined up on the table before they are put away. Makes you feel as accomplished. Just 2 of us so I've cut down on the amounts now.

Honored Contributor

Good for you and much luck and robust growing!!  I love to garden and Spring/Easter was my Mother's favorite time of year so she feels very close to me during this time of year.... the wonder of rebirth, it's amazing.

Aside from your beautiful description in your OP.... I caught and marveled the fact y ou have a table that seats 16!  Wow!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Keeper of the koi you are my kinda girl! I love to garden and put food by too. We live on 11 acres, most of it is woods now, but it used to be farm land. I plant in raised beds too, it's just easier to control. I subscribe to a magazine called Mary Janes Farm and the ladies who subscribe and submit articles call themselves farm girls. They actually formed a club you can join called Mary Jane's  farm girl Sisterhood. I didn't join the club, but I do enjoy the magazine.