Honored Contributor

Today I had a CT scan on my lungs.  Okay, I am laying on the portable bed (or whatever they call it) that moves back and forth under the CT scan machine.  The woman doing the scan needs to put in an IV for the Contrast. I could not see what she was doing because there was recessed lighting in the ceiliing so my vision was impaired but I could surely feel it and it hurt.  I finally said something to her that I never had this experience and it hurts (she was also pressing down on the puncture she made to stop the bleeding).  She leaves the room and brings back 2 women.  Now another woman goes to the other arm and put not one but 2 bands around my arms and ties them &  it hurt very much.  She can't do it either and she is pressing down on the puncture which was very painful.  Now I get really upset (voice really raises and the tone is stern) and said if you can't get this right on the next turn, I am going home.  Here comes a 3rd woman give it a try. Finally, someone that knows what they are doing.   I am not a some plastic doll you can poke at will.  Do some of these people get trained properly?   Have you ever had a bad experience with an IV startup?  Cat Mad

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Sometimes it happens to me.  They are trained, it's just sometimes hard to get the right vein.

Trusted Contributor

KatCat1:  I am so sorry you had to go through that experience - not fun at all & no, you are not a pin cushion.  Hope you feel better.

Honored Contributor

That was terrible! I was told ages ago to always drink a lot a LOT of water the day before an IV as it "plumps" your veins!

I've had a number of CT scans since my cancer diagnosis and surgery 13 months ago and have never had any trouble.

I have a port so the contrast (except for one time) is administered through that.

Glad you complained. Too often patients don't stand up for themselves.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1. So sorry you had that experience. It’s not pleasant in the best of circumstances. Hope all is well and you aren’t as black & blue as I get.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1

Ouch ! 😩 ... you have my sympathy , I just had a CT scan too, and the technician said “ ok, here comes a big stick” 

boy he wasn’t kidding, the needle he used must’ve been a big one, man that hurt ! He got in with one poke, so I feel really sorry for you getting stuck multiple times 😥

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Today I had a CT scan on my lungs.  Okay, I am laying on the portable bed (or whatever they call it) that moves back and forth under the CT scan machine.  The woman doing the scan needs to put in an IV for the Contrast. I could not see what she was doing because there was recessed lighting in the ceiliing so my vision was impaired but I could surely feel it and it hurt.  I finally said something to her that I never had this experience and it hurts (she was also pressing down on the puncture she made to stop the bleeding).  She leaves the room and brings back 2 women.  Now another woman goes to the other arm and put not one but 2 bands around my arms and ties them &  it hurt very much.  She can't do it either and she is pressing down on the puncture which was very painful.  Now I get really upset (voice really raises and the tone is stern) and said if you can't get this right on the next turn, I am going home.  Here comes a 3rd woman give it a try. Finally, someone that knows what they are doing.   I am not a some plastic doll you can poke at will.  Do some of these people get trained properly?   Have you ever had a bad experience with an IV startup?  Cat Mad

sorry you had to go through this...had the same experience during my last hospital stay in september..i dread medical procedures...

Honored Contributor

Re: CT Scan Experience

[ Edited ]

@missy1 wrote:

Sometimes it happens to me.  They are trained, it's just sometimes hard to get the right vein.

Some people are hard sticks.  It is very hard sometimes to keep the needle in the vein and a person who is dehydrated, probably fasting overnight, makes it much harder.  There are people who have what techs call "rolling veins."  You think you have it in and then it pops out.  Putting two tourniquets usually does the trick.  ER nurses and techs are better at that because they do so many.  However, I had an occasion 2 years ago this month where no one could get one in me as I was dehydrated and septic, and had to have a cutdown.  I was bruised from my shoulder to my hand.  No reason to whine about it.  It was necessary. 

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry that happened to you. It hurts just thinking about it.

I have had them have trouble taking blood before. There was one woman who worked in the lab where I use to go, she never had any problem, one stick and we were done! There was a different woman, and she would always have to poke me at least 3 or 4 times. I found a different dr. Life is too short for that mess.

Honored Contributor

I've had a bunch of CT scans having had cancer.  I've only had one where they had to call other people in the room to try.  Got a good black and blue from that one.