Respected Contributor

I can totally relate. I get IV infusions every 8-12 weeks.

I give them 2 attempts and then I insist on a supervisor,

or MD. 

They don’t want to look bad so they keep torturing the patient- well not this lady, I will not put up with this type 

of treatment.

As has been said, drinking prior to any procedure using your veins, is very instrumental in having an easier time.

Good luck with future punctures, and of course the results.

Honored Contributor

One time when I was having blood work the nurse kept trying to get the needle in and couldn't.  It was hurting and taking forever.  I told her to go get the doctor, and he got it the first try.  Nothing like that has happened to me since.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Recently my doctor wanted to run tests and had the MA draw blood.  She was recently promoted from an office position.  She had that deer in the headlights look as she prepped the tubes.   She could not find a vein she said and  jabbed me over and over, both arrms.     She said something about my being dehydrated. Then she said can you come back tomorrow!!    Umm nooo??? the royal wedding!

MA left and got the senior nurse who nailed it with one stick .  No problem!    I like phlebotomists to do blood draw. Painless, one and done.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1

Not sure I am following you. I have had numerous CAT Scans, contrasting/clear and Nuclear. As for the number of IV's, countless numbers done for my 130+ blood transfusions/30+ Iron Infusions, and during my weeks or month long hospital stays, they used to have to change the IV every 72 hours, that has now changed.

Some nurses are much better than others, and I never discount the quality of the IV Syringe itself. Every product I made had a range of quality, as I am sure is the same with all syringes. I shot myself with Lovenox in my stomach well over 100 times, and some syringes went in much easier and smoother than others.

The nurses in the ER and Surgical Procedure are far and away the best, because they do a great number of them every single day. Those that do Scans and even "on floor" RN's do not do them on the same frequency as do the others I mentioned. I give anyone placing an IV, 2 stabs and then ask for someone else.

It isn't the most comfortable thing I have had done, but far from being the most painful. Everyone has a different level of pain tolerance, and that is much different. Sorry your experience was not the best because there could be many reasons why some patients are much harder to place an IV, and even for a simple blood draw. Too many variables for me to list.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: CT Scan Experience

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

Today I had a CT scan on my lungs.  Okay, I am laying on the portable bed (or whatever they call it) that moves back and forth under the CT scan machine.  The woman doing the scan needs to put in an IV for the Contrast. I could not see what she was doing because there was recessed lighting in the ceiliing so my vision was impaired but I could surely feel it and it hurt.  I finally said something to her that I never had this experience and it hurts (she was also pressing down on the puncture she made to stop the bleeding).  She leaves the room and brings back 2 women.  Now another woman goes to the other arm and put not one but 2 bands around my arms and ties them &  it hurt very much.  She can't do it either and she is pressing down on the puncture which was very painful.  Now I get really upset (voice really raises and the tone is stern) and said if you can't get this right on the next turn, I am going home.  Here comes a 3rd woman give it a try. Finally, someone that knows what they are doing.   I am not a some plastic doll you can poke at will.  Do some of these people get trained properly?   Have you ever had a bad experience with an IV startup?  Cat Mad

@Katcat1

Always.  I have been told I have small, brittle (?) veins.  I always tell them this going in, so usually the best people come forward.  Unfortunately having IV infusions 2 days every 5 weeks makes it worse.  Last time it took 5 tries.  I give each person 2 tries.  Then we move on to another person.  So this time it was 3 people!  I've found that Oncology nurses are the very best for me because they are accustomed to compromised veins.

Sorry you had this experience, it DOES hurt 😢. Meditation skills help a bit, also a heat pack can make the veins a bit more prominent. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

I have tiny veins that roll and blood draws/IV's cause me a lot of anxiety.  For a blood draw, I drink LOTS of water and do some sort of exercise beforehand (walk a mile on a treadmill or ride a couple of miles on my exercise bike, etc.).  However, there are a few occasions where I don't know I'm going to need a blood draw so I haven't prepped for it. 

A few years ago, I needed a CT Scan w/ the contrast.  I was informed not to drink anything beforehand (except some nasty chalky stuff they gave me).  I knew it would be an issue and, sure enough,  they couldn't get the IV in.   I informed them of my past difficulties and my solution to the problem and after some consultation among the staff, they called the prescribing doctor's office and got permission for me to drink water.  So, I drank a ton and did some exercises.  When I went back a couple of hours later to have the procedure done again, they called in an E.R. nurse and he got the IV started with no problem.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I am not a some plastic doll you can poke at will.  Do some of these people get trained properly?   Have you ever had a bad experience with an IV startup?  Cat Mad

I don't think so.  I'm never thrilled to get an IV or blood drawn because of the people who do it.  I just don't trust their competence.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Katcat1  Sounds like a miserable experience, but two expecially important suggestions have emerged: (1) Always drink lots of water prior to something such at this procedure plus, it's excellent for your overall health, and (2) The EMT idea is fabulous! I learn something everyday. 

@BirkiLady @Katcat1  She was probably told to fast to keep her from asiprating.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

If that ever happens again, ask the to find a paramedic or EMT.  They frequently hang around in ERs. They're trained to find veins while bouncing along in an ambulance and are very good at it.

@Kachina624  I'm not sure if that would be allowed?  Are the paramedics/EMT's employed by the hospital?  If not I would think that their duties end they hand over the patient to the hospital staff.

@Cakers3.  It probably wouldn't be officially approved but when I was in the ER and a nurse was using me as a pin cushion, I surely was glad to see him.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday  I had to fast -- no food or liquids 2 hours prior to scan.  I have blood tests frequently with no problem and some people do not know how to do the IV properly.  But I can only take so much 3 strikes you are out.  lol

kindness is strength