Honored Contributor

Recorded a few shows looking for papers for my collages. It’s mostly scrapbook and card making supplies. 

I can’t imagine the time and expense of making individual cards...layers and layers of card stock, papers, stickers and ink stamps. It could take weeks to make enough holiday cards and then because of the weight of each, could cost over $1.00 each to mail. I don’t get the point.

Anyone make their own cards, have this machinery, cutting tools, and other supplies?

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus, Certainly not me.  I would guess that crafters who do this make some amazing cards.  

Valued Contributor

I know what you mean about it being time consuming and expensive..... but  what hobby isn't?.....

I have collected many craft items/machines/tools, etc.  to make cards and scrapbook pages, along with many other craft items...

I enjoy creating something special (even if it's just for myself, although I do a lot of donating of finished products).... it's relaxing for me to take beautiful papers/items and make them into something different and to use different creative techniques in the process..... it keeps my mind and body occupied..

I enjoy it, even though I may be wasting my time and money.... but so many other things can waste time and money in this world we live in..... 

Honored Contributor

I actually enjoy watching HSN craft days. I used to do lots of  crafting---- sewing and stenciling, and such, making no sew quilted Xmas balls---- but the scrapebooking  drove me crazy--now my fingers/hands don't work well so that is the end of that.  But my SIL and niece do card making and OMG--they are beautiful!!  SIL has a craft room and whenever I am there, she shows me all the things she is doing.  I keep her cards  on a display board and throw the few store bought stuff away. Lots of money spent, thats for sure-----

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  I am a crafter, but don't make cards. I have a friend who does & they are gorgeous. However, I would never pay $4.+ for a card, even tho it's homemade & beautiful. She has almost stopped, due to no sales in that item. I also belong to a FB craft group, there are a few who do cards on there. Crafters have a passion for making things, something many non-crafters don't understand. I'm 66 & love making things & learning new crafts & craft processes. Yesterday I tried a new craft, & was so excited to see the results. Crafters hardly ever make much off crafting, due to time & money spent. It's just fun, what else can I say? 

Respected Contributor

I always look forward to the HSN craft day. $5 shipping for a fill your cart order.  Always on the look out for new die cuts, papers,etc. I make my own cards to send out. My cards are unique, every card is different. Not just a box of the same thing you buy at the store. It is fun to create cards and they are appreciated by my family and friends that I send them to. When you enjoy doing something it isn't work. I don't do it with expense in mind. Nor do the cards cost over $1 to send out. It is a hobby/craft  like any other.

Honored Contributor

I've been making my own cards for years.  Can't remember when I last sent a store-bought card.  Beside my sister and her husband, I have 9 nieces and nephews, 8 of which have spouses.  And I have 20 grand-nieces and nephews.  I make birthday cards for everyone. I only makes cards for the grands for other holidays.  And, of course, I make all my Christmas cards.  It's a hobby for me and I enjoy every minute of it.

Not sure what I would do without HSN and their craft days!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I tried to get into card making and scrapbooking and it wasn't for me.  

I prefer working with fabric and thread, either sewing, quilting or cross stitching.

I have a friend that makes cards and sells them on Etsy.  She does well.  They are every bit as nice as the fancy Hallmark cards - only difference is hers are blank inside and half the price.

Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

@Shanus  I am a crafter, but don't make cards. I have a friend who does & they are gorgeous. However, I would never pay $4.+ for a card, even tho it's homemade & beautiful. She has almost stopped, due to no sales in that item. I also belong to a FB craft group, there are a few who do cards on there. Crafters have a passion for making things, something many non-crafters don't understand. I'm 66 & love making things & learning new crafts & craft processes. Yesterday I tried a new craft, & was so excited to see the results. Crafters hardly ever make much off crafting, due to time & money spent. It's just fun, what else can I say? 

@TX-starlight   You must not have bought cards lately.  Most ordinary greeting cards at Walmart are at least $4.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624    Have you checked at the Dollar Tree? They now have  Hallmark Expressions Cards. Such a huge savings!  Cards at even Walmart now have gotten expensive unless you guy the 94 cent ones.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller