Honored Contributor

Re: CONFESSION; I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SWIM

Synchonizing arms and legs is not the important thing here.  Learning to float and tread water is.  You won't be joining the Olympic swim team, so find lessons that put you in "survival" mode.  Hate to even use that word, but then you are open to more opportunities like taking a cruise for example.  Or going on a friend's boat.  If you can tread water and keep your wits about you, someone will get you out.  

Esteemed Contributor

I can see how an experience like that at a young age would make anyone stay away from swimming.  My late mother in law could not swim, and I always thought that was strange.  I have no idea why she did not even try.

I think you should sign up for the class and try it.  Overcoming your fear would be a great triumph for you.  They are not going to let you drown and I would think they would go slowly with you.  You may find that you start to enjoy it.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I don't know how to either and at almost 67 it's not happening now.

My mother did put us in classes at the Y but when the instructor held my head under the water the very first class, I refused to go back.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus Everyone has fear when they're learning how to swim, particularly if they have had a scary event. 

I didn't know how to swim until I married my DH. We went from shallow water, holding my breath with my face in the water, to floating, etc. Baby steps.

When my DH thought I was ready, he put flippers on my feet and had me swim back and forth in about 5ft of water. The flippers were the beginning of turning me into a dolphin. They help propel you through the water. You don't even need to use your arms. I was in heaven. Deep water, no problem.

Of course, I eventually had to rely on my own arms, feet and legs and advanced to the next stage. I was amazed with my progress over that summer. I went from being afraid, to sitting on the bottom of the pool seeing how long I could hold my breath. And, I lost 15lbs that summer, with no change in diet, with all the swimming. I was major toned.

You can do this and it will empower you. Go for it. You'll be in a safe, controlled environment. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus   You strike me as the type of person that would feel worse about not trying at all than to try and not be able to see it through, whether you learn to swim or not.  From the sound of your fear, I doubt that you will reach a lifesaver level, but it may give you enough confidence to enter the water to help grab someone.  If at the very least, you could learn to tread water. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I can't swim either.....took lessons with no result.    When I was a kid, some other children "dunked" me (held my head under water), in Lake Michigan.    I STILL remember that..........

@Desertdi 

Sorry you were dunked, that's awful!  I can't swim either and I took adult lessions.

DH said he has never seen anyone else dog paddle in place and sink like I do, lol.

Honored Contributor

I grew up boating yet there were several people in my family that were afraid of water and didn't know how to swim. I made sure my kids knew how to swim when they were quite young. I always enjoyed it but not everyone does due to bad experiences or whatever. I do understand.

Esteemed Contributor

You can try the class, it could save your life!

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus   I think you should try the classes.  You might be surprised and enjoy it. 

My Mom's youngest sister taught me when I was about six. There was a creek behind their house and I visited for a week so she taught me. We wanted to surprise my parents.

Mom and Dad came to get me after a week.  We were all that the creek and my aunt took me across the creek in my usual intertube. Once there I yelled at my Mom as I jumped tubeless into the water and started swimming next to my aunt.

My Mom, unaware of my lessons, jumped up yelling for everyone to get me and then realized I was actually swimming.

Looking back it wasn't smart to scare the dickens out of her but I was proud as punch.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you have reason to be on a boat (yacht) or around water where you would be afraid, you can get a flotation belt that goes around you and would keep you afloat in an emergency. 

My kids learned to swim with one. 

Once they realized they were floating, they learned to use their arms and legs without fear.  Even after they could swim, they like to wear it because they could just "rest" when they wanted to.

It would be easy to try is you have, or a friend has a pool and not expensive.  Fear is a terrible thing!

Some "belts" are thin enough they could be worn under a shirt.