Trusted Contributor

Re: CONFESSION; I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SWIM

When I was in first grade, my parents put me in a swim class at a local park that had a huge pool. The instructor was trying to get us to hold our breath and when the class was not staying under long enough, she threatened to come out and hold us under if we did not do better. That was it for me. I was out of the water and changing into street clothes within 2 minutes and my parents could not get me back in the water until junior high school. I am still scared of the water, but glad I took classes again in junior high. Those early traumas stay with you.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Wow, yeah, I had an ex mother in law that could not swim. 

I was born with the knowledge.  Like it was downloaded into my brain.  I never was taught.  I just did it.

I could do anything in the water.  I was most comfortable there.  I could do tumble salts, anything.  The first thing to learn is to dog paddle.  That's where you just take your arms and use them as paddles over and over so that you stay afloat.  It just came naturally to me.

Now, skating?  No way.  LOL!!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I have a love - hate relationship with water!  I love it, in particular the ocean, and always want to be near it and by it.  However, I am really terrified of it!  My mother learned to swim as a youngster but had a very bad experience and nearly died.  She told us about it several times when we were young and caused us to be very fearful of the water.  We never went swimming or near the water or had lessons.  And that fear was instilled in is throughout our lives.  I know this is not true of all people but I think it is a lot easier for the most part if you are taught or given lessons as a very young child.  I tried to take lessons 2 times in my late 30's and early 40's.  I actually learned (not really well) to float on my back for a short spell and learned the breast stroke and when made to, I made it across the entire pool.  However, I was so terrified, I thought I would have a heart attack!  The next lesson the teacher told us we would have to go off the diving board.  I never went back.  I just could not conquer my fear of water.  The instructor even told me --- I think you could have become a really good swimmer but unfortunately you have just had that fear instilled in you at such a young age, that I don't know if you can ever get over it.  I have never really tried swimming since then, other than to go in pools where my feet can touch bottom and my shoulders and head are above the water.  Swimming is always something I really wanted to do and I feel bad that I couldn't really achieve it and just dive in and swim so care-free and fear free as so many others do, but I just could not overcome my fear.  I would say - go ahead and give it a try.  If you do not have the comfort level, you can stop at any time, but at least you can say you tried.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

I can't eirther. Took lesson didn't really help. I think I might be able to save myself.  I do love the ocean. 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@Shanus wrote:
@beach-mom   Class 101 is getting our faces in the water, floating on back and treading water (I guess to save ourselves if we fell in the water). Class 102 is actual swimming. Diving? That's a definite NO. 

@Shanus - You'll do fine! Floating is so relaxing, and you will master it! 

Diving was never my thing either. I had to, in order to pass certain classes. Going off the high dive was not fun for me, as I've always been afraid of heights! The last time I did that was to show my children (young at the time) I could do it! My children also went all the way through water safety instruction.  I had them in the water early. DD was a lifeguard and instructor at an indoor pool during high school and college.  DS prefers the ocean!  Smiley Happy

@beach-mom   Because I couldn't swim, I did have my 2 kids in the pool w/ classes as toddlers. I never took them to the pool unless the lifeguard was on duty. They both are wonderful swimmers now. My issue is the granddaughters. If you have any, you know you're more concerned about their safety, on your watch, than your own kids. LOL

Honored Contributor

I can't say I don't know how to swim but I am scared of deep water.  I can do all kinds of stuff in a pool but if I go in a lake and I cannot touch the bottom, I completely panic. 

We own a boat and jet skis and I love to cruise so it doesn't make any sense.  LOL    

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   I think I mentioned in another thread here (recently) about issues w/ anxiety all my life and covid lockdown was not a help for that...It made it more difficult for me to get back on track. I had therapy years ago and worked through it...hard work, but overcame it. I have always faced things head on, but fear of water has been something so difficult to deal with. I feel it's something I need to do for myself...know I can overcome that, too. 

Respected Contributor

Shanus, you will be so happy. You will do fine.

Some things to think about---Picture a ball or balloon floating on the water. The air is what keeps it floating. relax, it is the most heavenly feeling to relax in the water. Practice laying in bed with your arms out. Now completely relax all your muscles.

I was a long distance swimmer, life guard and swim teacher until recently.

You will meet nice people in the class and you will all be sharing a wonderful time together. 

The instructor will not ask you do do anything that makes you nervous.

Remember relax. I will be pulling for you and can't wait to hear a report after your first class.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@beach-mom   Because I couldn't swim, I did have my 2 kids in the pool w/ classes as toddlers. I never took them to the pool unless the lifeguard was on duty. They both are wonderful swimmers now. My issue is the granddaughters. If you have any, you know you're more concerned about their safety, on your watch, than your own kids. LOL

@Shanus - I don't have grandchildren yet - hoping to someday! But I have enough friends who are grandparents that I can imagine how concerned you are! We have a rule in our family, even though both kids are adults and are lifeguard and WSI qualified. It applies to all of us. The kids just know it as one of "Mom's quirks" NO ONE swims alone, and NO ONE swims in the ocean if no lifeguard is on duty. 

Those aren't the only rules I had! LOL!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Maybe your local YWCA gives adult lessons or plan to in the near future.