Honored Contributor

CONFESSION; I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SWIM

[ Edited ]

When I was very young, my Dad had a large boat, not a yacht w/ rooms where you can sleep, but did have an area underneath where you lie down and/or take a break from the sun. It was docked at a lake nearby. We went almost every Sunday and stayed until sundown and then made the 1/2 hour trip home.

The first week we had that boat, my Dad was trying out our life jackets. Although my brother was 3 yrs. younger, he was bigger than me....even when we were 5 and 8. Well, Dad buckled me into my jacket and thought he pulled the straps tight enough.

When he told me to go down the ladder and float to try it out, I slipped out of the jacket (immediately) and started to sink into the deep water. Dad jumped in and found me within minutes, but it scared the cwap out of me and I have stayed away from the water except a dip in a pool to cool off where it was 3' deep. 

I was prepared to take the "Adult Chicken Swimming Class" at my gym before the pandemic and the gym closed. The pool is now open and they called to see if I was still interested in that swim class. I'm still not sure I can do it. ***I even face backwards in the shower so my face isn't under the water. LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: CONFESSION; I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SWIM

I can't swim either.....took lessons with no result.    When I was a kid, some other children "dunked" me (held my head under water), in Lake Michigan.    I STILL remember that..........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Jeez @Shanus , that sounds traumatic.  I would think it would take great courage for you to take the swim class.  Do what you are comfortable with though,  not something that may stress you out.  I recently turned 60 and my outlook is I am not going to try and prove anything anymore to myself or others, but that's just me.  I'm sure you will make the right decision for you.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I can't swim either.....took lessons with no result.    When I was a kid, some other children "dunked" me (held my head under water), in Lake Michigan.    I STILL remember that..........

@Desertdi   Not sure why I feel the urge to learn now except taking the GDs to the beach this summer, I think I should be able to grab them up in an emergency.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

Jeez @Shanus , that sounds traumatic.  I would think it would take great courage for you to take the swim class.  Do what you are comfortable with though,  not something that may stress you out.  I recently turned 60 and my outlook is I am not going to try and prove anything anymore to myself or others, but that's just me.  I'm sure you will make the right decision for you.

@LindaSal   It's definitely anxiety provoking. The past year really was stressful enough, but something's telling me to give a try.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   At least you have a good reason.  I have taken swimming lessons several times at various ages and could not get past the floating or putting any part of my head in water.  I also do not like to get my head under running water in the shower and quickly do it when washing my hair while holding my breath.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm so sorry for all that have had some traumatic experience in the water.

My mother was always afraid because her father (my grandfather) was always worried and telling them not to go too deep etc.

She was determined my sister and I wouldn't be afraid so she tried to show no fear of the water when with us.

My son had those baby swim lessons where they dunked them thinking that babies naturally hold their breath. Well, that didn't work well with him. He was crying and didn't go back into the water for a year.

However, he is now a good swimmer

and I won many metals on the swim and diving team, and a lifeguard during the summer.

I often wonder if loving the water or not is also an inborn thing. Some can't stay away, like one of my grandsons-no fear ever since he was born.Me too, but my sister, not so much. She can swim but never really loved it. Others are more timid despite their experience.

It is a wonderful liberating feeling to be able to swim like a dolphin.

If you do decide to take lessons, I would say to try to put that past awful experience just where it was. You don't have to experience that again and hopefully the intructors are gentle and slow and make it fun and reassuring. And you never have to do anything you are not comfortable with.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus swimming is a wonderful skill to have.  I think you should try the class.  They will start you out just like a kid by getting you used to putting your face in the water.  You should be standing in the shallow end too.  Give it a shot.  You'll practice kicking while holding on to the pool edge.  I think you will do fine.  And there are many more classes available to you, so you go at your own pace.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't feel bad, I can't swim either. i've tried taking lessons, and my family has offered to try and help me learn. But to no avail, I would sink like a rock. It's just not for me. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

Listen to your gut that's telling you that you should try, sometimes those gut feelings are right on the mark, especially with your GDs at the beach.

Most times the best way to conquer a fear is to face it head on and you never know what fate/life may throw in your way where you could NEED to know how to swim.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.